Reef Question

christine

I have been setting up a 75g reef tank for the last seven weeks. I added over 80lbs of live rock and some cleaners and a few fish (3). All of my levels are good. I have a protein Skimmer and adaquate lighting. I have a wet / dry with bio balls. Everything is going great,,,,,,or is it. An experienced owner of one of my lfs told me a "Reef Tank" cannot have a wet/dry bio ball system. A trickle filter and a protein skimmer only! I never read this and this is the first time I heard of such a thing. The lfs that I purchased all of my hardware from, set me up for a reef! I have spent well over 2k and want to do the right thing. I have no corals at this time. I want to wait a few months before I add anything more. Can a bio ball wet dry be utilized in a reef tank?
[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 07-25-2000).]

clayton

This is not true at all. I have kept reef tanks for many years and always use wet/dry systems with bioballs. He is probably got hold of the wrong end of the stick with regards to nitrate filtration which biobals do not allow for. Other filtration media and compartments or a plenum can take care of yuor nitrates. A trickle filter (not a nitrate filter) works on exactly the same principles as a wet/dry.

bio balls are fine, its just that they have been known to raise nitrate levels over time, since they trap detritus, thats why berlin reefkeepers still utilize the bio tower, but just for the oxygen/water exchange of the trickle plate. they remove the bioballs.

bobsingh1

sundog, I have read your previous posts on filters not causing nitrates.
When someone says a filter is causing nitrates they do not mean that the material with which this filter is made of will cause nitrates. What they mean is that they encourage nitrates as a byproduct and therefore should not be used.
When there is demand for wood for new homes or paper, which leads to destruction of a remote brazilian piece of jungle, the people who raised the demand for wood are not directly responsible but they are responsible indirectly.
When strong medicine is administered to a patient, he/she might enjoy the cure but also suffers from the side effects. So the doctors try to avoid medicines with strong side effects.
And this exactly is the scenario here.
Nitrates do not show up after installing a filter but will show up as a result of what that filter does to prevent something else.
As a result the notion develops that this filter encourages, contributes, causes ... (you pick the term), nitrates. And hence... use a filter that does not do that or remedy the situation by following proper guidelines.
And, my friend, you are not talking to a wall here. You might have more experience but a lot of people here are smart enough to understand whether the cause and effect relationship is direct or indirect

kris

Here's my opinion--filters any kind, shape or form do NOT cause increase or decrease in nitrate values. The factor is the media used inside- bio-balls,foam blocks, ceramic or any other type of media do get clogged and full of junk hence doing more harm than good because it is here that the nitrates build. It is a misconception that biological media don't ever need cleaning or replacing.
Rinse the stuff real good in tank water and then put it back.
As far as whether or not biological filtration is needed in a reef I've heard it both ways. Just a thought (perhaps a weird one) replace those balls with lr rubble.???????????

mr . salty

Kris, I've heard other people talking about using Live rock in there sump.I think it's a great idea.And will probably try it when I have all the rock I want in the tank. STEVE

kris

Hey Ranger--what kind of filters are you talking about?--the only thing I've heard of was an exceptionally expensicve "denitrator" which some say don't work. Or work well enough to warrant the price.

krazzydart

all i have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that sure gives someone something to talk about.... Use them!!! I have been using them for over 15 yrs now.... no probs

nofancyname

Bioballs are fine, but I believe one of the greatest criticism of them is the fact that they are to efficient. That is, they are so good at breaking down Ammonia and Nitrite that other filters (i.e. protein skimmers) don't even have a chance to remove them from the system. Instead they are broken down into Nitrate.
The truth is that many systems have survived and flourished using wet/dry filters.
If you are really concerned about this you might want to consider converting your Sump in to a refugium with Live Sand and MacoAlges that will work to remove Nitrate naturally from your system.
[This message has been edited by NoFancyName (edited 08-08-2000).]