reef ready or predrilled?

doodle1800

Getting ready to buy a 210. Can't decide on reef ready or pre-drilled. What I do not like is the black plastic towers on reef ready. Anyone have an opinion?

michaelwb

if i had to do it again i would get reef ready, won't be able to see them if coraline algae grows on it or if you build rock towers, both of which are cool.

C

cmaxwell39

Once some coraline grows on the overflows they will be a lot less obvious and look more like part of the aquascape. You will still be able to tell that they are overflows, but it won't be as glaringly obvious.
Even if you went with just a pre-drilled tank you are going to have to put some sort of overflow in the tank, so I think you will be back to the same issue.

matt b

Originally Posted by cmaxwell39
http:///forum/post/2781315
Once some coraline grows on the overflows they will be a lot less obvious and look more like part of the aquascape. You will still be able to tell that they are overflows, but it won't be as glaringly obvious.
Even if you went with just a pre-drilled tank you are going to have to put some sort of overflow in the tank, so I think you will be back to the same issue.
If you just buy a normal 210 and have it drilled in the top right and top left then put bulkheads in and put a elbow on the inside to adjust the water level in the tank and put in a strainer so fish dont get in the sump. It is cheaper to just have it drilled then buying it RR. And IMO it looks beter. And if you tank is not EXACTLY level then one overflow will get more water then one.

grue

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2781325
If you just buy a normal 210 and have it drilled in the top right and top left then put bulkheads in and put a elbow on the inside to adjust the water level in the tank and put in a strainer so fish dont get in the sump. It is cheaper to just have it drilled then buying it RR. And IMO it looks beter. And if you tank is not EXACTLY level then one overflow will get more water then one.

I would go with a STARFIRE tank. (They kust make the corals and fish glow) I would also set up a Coast to coast Overflow. Wonderful thing about them is after 2 or 3 months you won't see it at all. Keeps your water level high. Worry free as tank is drilled at the top side. Not the bottom.
Grue

ilovemytank

Ok I'm totally confussed !?! I can't tell by what I'm reading what my tank is. Mine is predrilled with the black backing all the way down. water enters the black area through slots about half way down and though the top. Is this predrilled and reef ready or what is it considered ?????????

matt b

Originally Posted by Ilovemytank
http:///forum/post/2781547
Ok I'm totally confussed !?! I can't tell by what I'm reading what my tank is. Mine is predrilled with the black backing all the way down. water enters the black area through slots about half way down and though the top. Is this predrilled and reef ready or what is it considered ?????????
Yours is reef ready. Reef ready is where there is a overflow built in by the people that make the tank. I am not sure what he is talking about pre drilled? maybe getting a used tank that is drilled in the top corners?

D

dennis210

I can honestly say - "Been there done that!"
SAVE alot of fustration and buy a predrilled tank!
The towers are not bad at all and do grow over faily quickly with coralline.
You might just as well place a fancy zoanthid colony up to them and let it grow over!!!!

Dennis

netimreefer

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2781710
I can honestly say - "Been there done that!"
SAVE alot of fustration and buy a predrilled tank!
The towers are not bad at all and do grow over faily quickly with coralline.
You might just as well place a fancy zoanthid colony up to them and let it grow over!!!!

Dennis
that would be awesome!!

doodle1800

I have a reef ready now - 90 gallon. I can't stand the tower - takes up too much room, hard to landscape around it. So for appearance sake I'll take the drilled tank. The shop is willing to drill holes for free. He's claiming I'll get better flow and I don't have to spend $ on the plumbing w/ reef ready. And I can get more holes drilled in center for closed loops. I'm wondering if the holes will affect the strength of the glass? I guess its flip a coin on which way to go, but I'm leaning on the drilled instead of towers.
Also - has anyone ever converted a tank from reef ready to drilled? I'd like to cut that tower out of my 90.

D

dennis210

Drilled & predrilled?
Predrilled to me means coming from the manufacturer with bottom drilled and walls for megaflow kits installed.
Drilled to me means drilling it DIY style. So somehow you still need to flow water to sump system.
My personal preference, and the next large tank I own will be predrilled with overflow kits installed plus upon arival the tank will go to glass shop and be drill for closed loop's also. Absolutely nothing in the tank mechanical to remove, fix, clean, maintain, etc.
As long as were on the what to do topic - put in a sump and a seperate 10g
refugium also!
Have my own 210 and now designed and set up 150, 120, 72, 65, 60, 3 - 55's, 45, a double 55 system and a 6 x 20g system. Currently working on yet another 55 with sump and seperate refugium.
Three things to never skimp on - lighting, skimmer, and FLOW!

doodle1800

Dennis - any reason why on the predrilled and overflow kits as apposed to the other? There's nothing to maintain in the drilled tank either - I don't think - is there?

D

dennis210

I have yet to find a DIY method of accomplishing they way a baffled wall overflow works. It is foolproof since water cannot be blocked from spilling over. I have seen DIY water intakes "choke off" thus preventing flow down to the sump. Now that you can order the standard or corner overflow kits I think the problem of crowding is mute. Plus I am currently dealing with a 210 g tank and the next one will be 300+ g. Getting the front to back measurement to be 30 - 32 inches is my goal - giving depth to the display.