reef ready tank?

salty2275

I'm thinking about getting my regular 75 ga. tank drilled. The lfs is recommending 2 overflows. Can someone please explain what the difference is in one overflow vs. two? In my noobie mind it seems that you would have one overflow to drain into the sump and then have some sort of pump to get the water back from the sump/fuge. Where would be the best place to put the overflow/s on a standard 75 rectangle tank? What type of pump do you recommend for the return? Thanks in advance. :help:

rhomer

For a 75 you will only need 1. The lfs is being a bit excessive by telling you 2. The additional overflow provides more flow. So, you could get a larger pump in your sump. Generally the 75 and 90 overlfows handle 600 gph. So a mag 9.5 is a good size pump for that tank and very reasonable, usually around 65 dollars. If you want more flow in your tank you can add powerheads or build a closed loop.
Rob

dogstar

A 1 inch ID bulkhead/drainpipe is rated at 600 gph. Thats only 8 X turnerover for a 75g. You can put 2 pipes in one OF box if you want. Then you can use a pump up to 16 X tureover. If your doing a box ?? Why put Powerheads in the display, yuk.
If your doing a box then they go on the bottom panel inside the box, if its not tempered glass or thru the back wall down low. If your not doing a box then they go high up on the back wall and the water level will be were the drain is.

salty2275

Wow, that makes sense! I'm wanting my tank to be a reef tank with a couple of fish. I've heard that I would need at least 25-30 times turnover. It seems that I should put two overflows in both with double 1 inch bulkhead places. My tank is an Oceanic and I believe it is tempered glass. By the way, if you don't have powerheads in the main tank, how do you get wave action?

moneyman

I have 1 overflow for my 90 at one corner. I wish I have 2. In my tank, the 500 gph flows one way - the way to the overflow. It makes my corals to lean on one side.
If your back panel is tempered glass, you can not drill it.
W/o powerhead, you can do a closed loop.

dr reef

My 75 Gallon reef has 2 corner overflows. I ordered it from all-glass. They only make them with one overflow, but I had all-glass put a second one in for me. I flow 1200 GPH.Nice!!! :jumping:

turningtim

You can always cut back flow but without the drians you can't increase it. Even if you don't use all 1200gph it will be nice to have.
If you get one, then you'll want two.......
HTH
Tim
BTW Very nice tank DR.!