Reef Tank Bugs .... Red Bugs!!

sdascher

Any ideas on ridding several tanks of red bugs??? I have been a feef keeper for a long time and I have never had or at least I didn't know that I had the red bugs until now. I have a 10g nano, 2 - 55g tanks and a 75g tank. I also have been using a small tube to suck them off of the glass when I see them. There are just way too many as I think that I may have had them for a long - long time!
I need to do something else. I have been making weekly water changes .... no help there. I also have really small flatworms in one of the 55g tanks ... possibly 2 tanks. I have had flatworms before and I can rid those - no problem, but the red bugs are eating my corals.
How did I get these after all of these years of clean tanks??? Well, I have been buying frag pieces & corals in the past year or so and even though I have dipped them in the coral disinfectant, I still have them so ..... Here is my plan thus far .... during the Christmas holidays I have a couple of days of free time so, I want to take one tank per day .... the 75 reef first and remove all of the corals & fish + inverts and place them in 2 39g plastic tubs with a power head ( just in case I take a really long time ) and leave all of the rock that has no corals on them in the tank and use flatworm exit. Clean up as instructed ..... now comes the questions. After the clean up & water change etc. can I make a flatworm exit dip to dip everything in before I put them back in the tank?? Will this kill off the red bugs??? I wasn't planning on dipping any fish or inverts, just rocks with corals. If this is NOT a good idea, then please give suggestions.
Before you answer .... the reason that I want to go to extremes here is because the reefs are in bad need change and thinning out of corals etc. so this would be a good time while I have the time.

yosemite sam

Are they acro red bugs as in the link, or red flatworms? Acro red bugs shouldn't be on the glass. Do a search for red flatworms, or planaria.

mbx5

This pic may show a red bug a bit better than the one in the post. Like they said above the wouldn't be on the glass so prob. not acro red bugs.

mbx5

This is some other kind that is full red and looks like a tiny nat. if you see in my last pic a red bug will have a yellow/orange body and a red head.

From what I know this one is a species of copepod. I have them on all my rocks and glass.

sdascher

Thanks for the info & pics .... my son told me that he had the red bugs and then I found them in my tank, but mine may not be the bad red bugs as mine looks like the co-pod pic. They are really very tiny and they have the micro antennas and are yellow - some are orange but most are red and they all have a black butt. I have to use a 10X loup in order to see them clearly. They remind me of a super micro beetle! They do move kind of fast .....
So then, maybe all I need to do over the holidays is re arrange my tanks, weed out some plants and frag some zoo's - and keep on sucking the flat worms out!!

mbx5

Sounds just like the pod! Again red bugs tend to stay on acros only so if they are on the glass I would tend to think the are not the bad bugs IMO.