Reef Tank w/ Purple Tang - what to add?

dkcobbs

I have a 120gal Reef tank that has been set-up for about 2 years. I had saltwater about 30 years ago and just got back into things a couple years ago. One of the things I promised myself was that I would take things very slowly this time around. So far my mortality rate has been limited to one fish (a royal gramma that never would eat). I started with a half dozen blue chromis to help cycle the tank, then added the purple tang as my first "good" fish. Every four to six months I have added a fish - Purple Pseudochromis, Maroon Clown w/bubble tip, and finally a six line wrasse. I love my purple tang and whatever goes into the tank must be a good fit for the tang. I would like to add one or two more fish before stopping but I am having a hard time finding anything I like that is compatable. (I also have a couple pepermint shrimp and a sally lightfoot crab.) If I had things to do over, I would have used a sand substrate but unfortunately I used crushed coral so sand sifters are out.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

dkcobbs

I had been considering a Flame Angel but wondered if it would be to agressive for the purple tang. Also I would prefer something more unique. From what I've read, a coral beauty would be less agressive but with the tang being mostly dark purple I was hoping to get something with a lighter color than the dark blue of the coral beauty. Any dwarf angels you can recommend?
I never really looked at anthais before, I will read-up on them. A quick look makes me thing a pair of Square Anthais would provide some unique color.

b0bby1

pygmy dwarf angels are very mellow but then again there almost the same color as a flame, dark blue with orange face.

dkcobbs

From what I have read, I thought all butterfly fish were out because of how much they enjoy eating the coral. I didn't think I could even go with a copper band because of the favia (my wife's favorite)
Short summary of my coral: Zoos, leathers, mushrooms, favia, ricordia, polyps.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Changing out substrate has been done, and if you are going to do it, better to do it later than decide to do it a few years down the road. There are just too many negatives in my opinion associated with crushed coral, as well as limitations. You have already figured that out.

mitsutech

Originally Posted by dkcobbs
I had been considering a Flame Angel but wondered if it would be to agressive for the purple tang. Also I would prefer something more unique. From what I've read, a coral beauty would be less agressive but with the tang being mostly dark purple I was hoping to get something with a lighter color than the dark blue of the coral beauty. Any dwarf angels you can recommend?
I never really looked at anthais before, I will read-up on them. A quick look makes me thing a pair of Square Anthais would provide some unique color.
The last thing you need to worry about is the fish being to aggresive for your tang especialy with him being established for a while now.You need to be more worried on how aggresive he will be to your new inhabitant.

dkcobbs

Thanks for everyone's input.
The more I read the more confusing things seem. I was all ready to go the dwarf angle route - leaning toward a Lemon Peel when I read the thread on Lemon Peels and now I'm wondering if that is safe or not. Before starting this thread I was all set to buy a Heniochis butterfly based on a couple of web sites stating they are completely reef safe then another site warns that one would almost surely feed on the Favia. Anyone have experience with Heniochis in a tank with Favia coral?
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've put to much work into getting this far to blow it now.

curtis1158

I have a Hippo tang, yellow tang and flame angel together. No worries. I have enough live rock that each has an area. Works out. Love the flame angel. When starting our tank, it was the first on our wish list. Very active. In and out of the rock. Couldn't be happier.

dkcobbs

Can I add a second tang? What I've read made be belive that by choosing a purple tang first it would be the only tang I could have in my tank. If I could add a second, are there certian ones I would have to stay away from? I would love a Naso or Powder Blue maybe.
I still would love to hear from anyone with feedback on a Heniochus Butterfly in a reef tank - especially with favia coral.

slammy16

As said above i would be more worried about the fish you decide to add than your Purple Tang. I have had one with a flame angel and a Potters angel and a copperband with no problems, the tang was added first then the others and after doing so i think i would have done it the opposite way. They can be pretty bossy if they are first added.

dkcobbs

Thanks for everyone's input - In particular I've been thinking about Beth's coments and giving serious consideration to changing out the CC substrate for live sand before I add any more fish. I really don't want to do it but I really wish I had gone with sand in the first place. I've been reading on various web sites and other posts about the process of changing substrate out in steps over a month or six weeks. If anyone has any articles they wish to point me toward I would love to read more before I proceed.
Once again Thanks.

mpls man

Originally Posted by dkcobbs
Thanks for everyone's input - In particular I've been thinking about Beth's coments and giving serious consideration to changing out the CC substrate for live sand before I add any more fish. I really don't want to do it but I really wish I had gone with sand in the first place. I've been reading on various web sites and other posts about the process of changing substrate out in steps over a month or six weeks. If anyone has any articles they wish to point me toward I would love to read more before I proceed.
Once again Thanks.
I switched over my 75 gal from CC to sand in 1 day, did it slow, was clowdy for maybe 2 hours, i used carribean live sand, never had a problem since, live sand has the bacteria already in it.