Reef vs. FOWLR

doxboi

What woudl you say is easier to care for a Reef or a FOWLR? I owuld assume FOWLR but maybe there is something I do not know. Also Would I have to drip Kalk anymore, would I need my skimmer? Also what is the biggest fish you think I could put in a 55?

msd2

fish would be much simpler. No additives, less lighting needed. You also wouldnt need as much turnover of the water as well as more tolerance for water conditions and temp. Honestly when things start to go south it always crosses my mind to go back to fowlr

footbag

Too much lighting? Not really, but no special lighting would be required.
No Kalk would be necessary because there wont be a huge coral load. Possibly, if your looking to grow coraline, but that will grow anyways.
Fish size depends on how many fish. Whats the rule of thumb? I think its 1" of fish per 10g. Maybe not though.

doxboi

So Could I put a lion fish or someother big guy like a grouper with a yellow tang (4"). What my wife really wants to do is have a school of henniocus (if that is how you spell that) in it. How about filtration. Do I need to have a sump and all that or will just a Eheim Canister do?

T

tizzo

Lion fish---Yes
Grouper---No
Yellow Tang--People do it, but it is highly frowned upon
Heniochus Butterfly--Schooling fish, should have at least 100 gallons.
:)
My fowler ran on only a canister filter for a long time...still does, but I have a LOT of live rock, and one helleva protein skimmer.

T

tizzo

IMO.. A skimmer is always necessary. But you will read conflicting opinions on this one. There are a "few" people that believe that the protien will level out during your cycle...more protien, more nitrifying bacteria. But that theory hasn't been enough for me to even question my PS need!! I have a lot of surface area for my nitrifying bacteria, and I still get a lot of crap in my protein skimmer!

T

tizzo

A FOWLR is what (IMO), everybody should start off as. Moniter the water params, the temperature, all of the different fluctuation (cause a reef should have none!) And when you can successfully keep everything extremely consistant, THEN it would be good to try adding coral. Of course if you want a reef, then you should buy all of your livestock accordingly.
Some of the hardest things to keep consistant can sometimes be the simplest of things... For me it was temperature... I couldn't keep it steady forever. Now with the perfect calculations of MH heat w/ room temp. w/ heater setting (at night) factored in with the tilt of the Earth's axis equivilant to the perpindicular thermal inducer's molecular capacity....
Nah, I'm kidding, go FOWLR, see how it works out for you...THEN consider adding corals.
:yes:

doxboi

I allready have a reef. Jyst was wondering about FOWLR. It seems and I guessed it would bee 100 times easier with FOWLR than a reef.

zemuro114

a grouper would be fine, if u plan on updating tank size within 2 years. i had a panther grouper, got him when he was 2 inches, and in 6 months grew to 5-6. unfortunately i went to school and my dad killed him by accident.. upsetting news...
lions are great fun.. puffers more fun!