Refigerated rodi water?

kdlbem

We had a couple of warm days here, and my tank jumped from 78(where it has been for 3 mos.) to 82 in two days. left all the windows open last night, but it only cooled to 80-81. Would it hurt anything to do a top off with refrigerated water? figured it wouldn't hurt, but I better check first. Any suggestions other than a cooler would be appreciated. It is a 75gal FO w/ sump. Thanks,
B

I dont know that topping off with coldwater would help as with adequate water circulation and figuring that 80 to 90% of the water would be at 82 , I think that the cold water would quickly come to tank temp. What about the small DYI refrigerator chiller that was posted a while back?

micol23

I do that a lot, but add it gradually to the sump. That doesn't shock the tank directly, and has little effect, but helps a little.

gnelson

A few times last summer when it started to get real hot, I would float plastic bags filled with ice in the sump. The water would circulate through the sump cool down and then circulate through the tank and slowly bring the temp down over about a 1-2 day period. This will work better than directly pouring water into the tank which fill quickly fill the tank to the limit before you have actually cooled the water at all. In terms of a long term fix, if you are that worried about water temp. you will need some sort of chiller.
Graham

kdlbem

I think we're gonna go look for a small AC unit for the window across the room from the tank. This is a first, something for the fish that will actually do something for the humans in the house......LOL :D Cheaper than a chiller too. B

sonny

The window unit AC will work fine, and you can get a new AC for about $200 for a small one. You'll have to keep the room temp fairly cool for it to work on the tank though.
Sonny