refinishing stand

suzylily0

We just bought a used tank and stand. The stand has quite a bit of water damage, finish peeling and chipping. Our current stand (just the pine All-Glass kind) does not show this type of damage, although it has had saltwater on a number of times. Is there a special type of product that I need to use to to protect our 'new' stand when I refinish it?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by suzylily0
http:///forum/post/3135413
We just bought a used tank and stand. The stand has quite a bit of water damage, finish peeling and chipping. Our current stand (just the pine All-Glass kind) does not show this type of damage, although it has had saltwater on a number of times. Is there a special type of product that I need to use to to protect our 'new' stand when I refinish it?
I would final coat with 3 to 5 coats of polyurethene or a similar product.

G

gwhunter

It really depends on the finish of the stand. For example,I have a classic oak stand and canopy. I bought it off a fellow who wasn't too careful with saltwater spilling on it. The stand was stained and poly'd but he let salt creep stay on it for extended period(not all that long maybe a month). The stain that the salt made soaked into the grains of the wood itself. I tried sanding the stain out but had no luck since it was well below the woods surface. The best method I've found is to remove what ever finish is on the wood and clean with a wood soap(like Murphy's oil). The take a marine grade poly (minwax Helmsman is a good one) and apply several coats to it. In my case the stains are small and add some character. But you result will vary. If it happens to be the particle board junk you can't repair it, throw it out and get another.
Matt

i would just sand it down and start over...........................................................................................
i would sand all the finish off and restain .restain use 1 seal coat 2 of topcoat.id stay away from minwax brand at all counts i think its garbage .i do wood working for a living hope that helps.

we use alot of ml cambell stains and finshes high quality stuff dont know if you can buy direct tho. so id say for stains just go to sherwin willams and get the solvent based stain not the classic which is there oil based stain which kinda sucks to.its all preference tho.just make sure if you decide to restain it to get all the stain and finsh off otherwise when you restain it will be blotchy where old stain is.use 100 grit sandpaper to get finish and stain off .then sand 150 grit to make the board smoother so it will finish nicer.next stain use a seal coat after stain is dry when seal coat is dry sand it with 320 sandpaper then top coat let dry then sand again with 320 then top coat again.