Refractometer Calibration

craig110768

I just got my refrac. yesterday. I calibrated it with RO water, but didn't need to adjust anything at all, as it was already reading 0.
It mentioned in the very few brief instructions that if i need to "recalibrate" it, it needed to be at 68degrees. How would I bring that to 68 - put it in a fridge? I live in Florida!!
I'm just wanting to make sure its accurate, or maybe I need to recalibrate it.
I got it from Northcoast Marine (80 bucks). Has anyone else had this issue.
Any suggestions.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you brought this up, as I too am interested in getting the best refract and would like opinions on which is best.
I'm going to move this over to the Equiptment Forum, though, as its a better spot for it.
Thanks for posting the topic!

stacy

I purchased the one from North Coast as well. When I called them about calibrating they said that it was done before it was shipped, and should not need to be adjusted. They said to just check from time to time with distilled water to be sure that its correct.

D

diatom

Beth PA sells a great Refractometers for like 69.00. I bought the same one on ---- for a little less, but only because PA was out of them at the time.
As long as you let the water adjust to the room temp for most Refractometers (30 seconds is what mine suggests) it should be fine.

broomer5

Most visual refratometers are perfect for this hobby.
The calibration is simply adjusting the scale to line up the 1.000 graduation. This procedure of adjusting the scale to a liquid ( pure water ) that has a specific gravity of 1.000 is necessary - otherwise you'll be off thoughout the entire range of the instrument.