Refractometer recommendations.

spline9

I'm in the market to get a refractometer.
I'm looking for recommendations on what brands/models to buy/avoid and why if possible. Thanks!

birdy

You know pretty much all the hobby grade ones are alike as far as I know, just get one that is ATC (automatic temperature compensation) and made for aquariums (so the measurements are in the correct range).

X

xoxox

The cheap plastic hydrometers, if you wanna test specific gravity then a glass hydrometer would most likely work best but a refractometer is the choice among most.

spline9

Birdy: Ok, I've just been seeing different ones with a fairly wide range of prices. Wasnt sure if its one of those "you get what you pay for" type things. I remember reading somewhere that somebody was complaining about theirs and how it was cheaply made or something. I think it wasnt sealed well and water leaked into it. They said that it was only good for about 1 reading a day since it had to dry out. Hah. Thats no fun.
XoXoX: Heh yeah, I have one of them swing-arm plastic hydrometer deals. I'm looking to retire it. I just dont trust it anymore.

T

thomas712

They do sell them here in the dry goods section for a very reasonable price.

nm reef

...and the refractometers offered here are comparable to those offered at several other sites. A much better option than any type of hydrometer in my opinion. I see them offered at numerous locations for right around $50...I finally ordered one and now wonder why I ever used a hydrometer.

golfish

The refracts sold here are just fine for our hobby. I had a lab grade model that was made in Japan a few years back. There's a HUGE difference in quality but also a HUGE difference in price (10x)

spline9

Yeah, was thinking of getting the one here.
I talked to my ex-gf last night about refractometers (shes a vet tech). She said there was one in a lab she worked at that was a $750 model. Egads. At that price, that thing better do more than just measure salinity. Like, my laundry. And the dishes. And take the trash out. And feed me. And stuff.
I'd pay $750 for one of those then. :D