Refractometer - Whats a good one

bmkj02

Looking to purchase a refractometer. I dont trust my hydrometer anymore. Looking at different sites and see different prices. Saw one on a site for $39.99 + $8 S&h but on the customers comments they say they have to calibrate it before every use. That seems to be a pain. Is that a normal routine??? Seens some other for around $45 - $70. Im not looking to spend $70 on one. What do you have? How much you paid and how do you like it?

salt210

I paid 20 something for mine and calibrated it once and it has been dialed in every time I have checked

mantisman51

I bought the National Industrial Supply unit from the "bay". It is a really good unit. It is a temp compensating piece and I calibrated it with purified/distilled ater and it hasn't changed readings since. To see how sensitive it is, I take a glass of purified/distilled water and add a tsp of tank water and check the sg after each tsp of tank water.
Oh yeah, they are $30 with shipping.

salt210

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3085175
I bought the National Industrial Supply unit from the "bay". It is a really good unit. It is a temp compensating piece and I calibrated it with purified/distilled ater and it hasn't changed readings since. To see how sensitive it is, I take a glass of purified/distilled water and add a tsp of tank water and check the sg after each tsp of tank water.
Oh yeah, they are $30 with shipping.
I believe thats the same one that I am using