Refractometer

infalable

After doing a search everyone seems to agree that refractometers are a must. I have seen them range in price from $50-135. Is there a big difference in quality between the price ranges? Can anyone recommend a brand or model. Thanks.

entice59

i personally think its worth it, go on ---- and get one for about 50 bucks, theres no checking the temp to try to match the proper salinity, theres no real spilling of saltwater anywhere. Its quick its easy to use. Just skip buying 2 corals and you'll be able to afford a refractometer, once you use one you'll see why its worth it.

legion

Just got mine from ---- in the mail today. $41.99+shipping.
My glass hydrometer and swing arm were both off by about .002
I'd rather have a tester that gives me the correct reading.

tlk

I agree with those that think this is overkill. While I believe inthe saying "he who dies with the most toys wins" , I have yet to be convinced that this is anything more than a toy.

nas19320

I got mine from an online site that was selling them on sale for $23.99. They usually run about $60 for the model I got. It's a shame the sale was so short. I'll keep you guys posted if they go back on sale. When I got my refractometer and checked my hydrometer I found that the hydrometer was reading really low. I think they are one of the more important tools to have in this hobby IMO.

squidd

My buddy thought his swing arm hydrometer was off, so he goes and buys a Pinpoint salinity monitor $129.00.
Checks it against his Aqua systems Sea Test (square box) and sure enough its off almost .oo3!! I got the same box so bring it and a water sample from my tank over to his house.
Side by side tests: my water-his water, my box-his box.
Mine is off .0015 consistently. O.K. I'll keep my $8.00 box (now
that it's been..... CALIBRATED. ;) and spend the other $120 on ...
OH, I don't know...fish,rocks,salt,lights...:D
:cool:

toddpolish

never heard so much bashing on refractometers. I guess you guys don't have them cause the thing rules and it's accurate...and those that own them swear by them. You must measure salinity some other way. is it that much better?

cincyreefer

Yes, a swinging arm hydrometer may be a little bit off but it will not be off far enough to kill fish or corals, as long as they are acclimated well. If your fish or corals are fine the way they are (which mine have always been using a swinging arm hydrometer), then just keep it consistent to what you are using. The main key is consistency.

infalable

Thanks for all the replies both for and against. I might get one, mostly as a newb I want as few things to go wrong as possible. I figure I will not be as quick to determine problems as quickly as the more experienced folks.

T

toungetwster

I've always used a swing arm...that is until I had to start a hypo..then I found out my old reliable swing arm was off by .03 That's enough to kill the fill I was trying to cure...so...I'm sold on my refractometer....52.00...included shipping and insurance...had it in 2 days....!!!

infalable

there seems to be a refractometer that everyone has. I also found a different one with a calibration dial (instead of the screwdriver for calibration). Does anyone have the dial or does everyone have the driver? Please let me know.

T

toungetwster

Mine has the screwdriver...but that's really only used for calibration...make sure you get one with ATC...Automatic Temp. Compensation....!

serpentine5

Like toungetwster said, make sure it is ATC. the Refract I have I got off of ---- from National Industrial Supply. I believe the price I paid was right arround $50. and I had it in just a couple of days. I have model "RHS-10ATC" and I recalibrate it every time I do a water change which is about once a month. I have yet to actually change the settings. Compaired my swing arm hydro to my Refract, my swing arm was off by .004. If you want their email address, just email me and I will forward it to you. They will probably do a deal directly with you instead of making you buy through ----.

justinx

IMO, a refractometer is a must for any hobbiest that has intentions of providing the best possible conditions for any invertebrates or fish long term. Granted that an $8 swing arm hydrometer can be calibrated against a refractometer to get what the readings actually are. But this is still using a refractometer, just in an indirect fashion. Especially if you regularly check your swing arm against a refractometer.
I look at it as there being only one option IMO. I don't know about anyone else, but I am not willing to "gamble" with the lives of the animlas (expensive animals mind you) in my tank simply because I want to save a couple bucks on a vital tool in the hobby.
As previously mentioned, the RHS-10ATC that is commonly sold on e-bay from Nis-Sales is a quality product, and at a decent price. I have use this model for a few months now and could not be happier. I regularly check it with RO/DI water and have yet to calibrate it once. It is the model with a scredriver adjust, not the dial. A dial seems like it may get accidentally moved.
Just my .02