refuge/sump...what do I have?

redarizona

:notsure: O.k., this may sound really silly, and I know I have learned a lot on this site, I am new to this and am wondering what I call what I actually have...I have tried to find it here and can't...I have a 100 gal that uses and ecosystem with miracle mud and plants and bioballs...anyone heard of it? please say you have...is it a refuge, a sump or what? I was told I don't need a skimmer, or other outside filters that this equimpment that takes up almost the whole underneath of my aquarium is all that I need...

aftrhrs

I call a sump a place where all your pumps, skimmer and live rock go. I call a refugium a place where you grow plants to have a natural filtration. Sounds to me like you have a refugium and a sump all in one but it is more a refugium than a sump :happyfish

redarizona

Thank you so much...I was wondering why it was taking so long...LOL...I know its a fairly new system, so thanks...now I know what to call it...:) :) :) :)

aftrhrs

I have heard of the miracle mud/plant set-up your talking about. The only system I seen it on was the set-up where an individual had a 4000 gallon tank in his basement. His website used to be mr4000.com but I think it has since been taken down because it was ruining the wood in his house. As far as I know his system worked well other than the evaporation.

beaslbob

Originally posted by redarizona
Thank you so much...I was wondering why it was taking so long...LOL...I know its a fairly new system, so thanks...now I know what to call it...:) :) :) :)

not familiar with the MM system but this thread is from my sump/refugium. If this had mud instead of sand would it be functionally similiar? I call it a combined sump/refug.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/82529/my-dyi-refug

redarizona

wow, you only paid $5.00 for the container...did you do that yourself...similar to mine but I paid 500.00, and it has a main container for the MM and plants, then two separate containers on both sides with bio balls, then another sump area that holds the pump. one pvc leads from the tank to the first set of bioballs, travels through the MM and plants, then through the second set of bioballs to the sump with the pump that goes through the tube back into the tank...I think it may hold about 30-40 gal of water total...just an estimation...I can find out through my lfs how much it actually holds...pretty powerful pump...does that make sense??:notsure:

beaslbob

Originally posted by redarizona
wow, you only paid $5.00 for the container...did you do that yourself...similar to mine but I paid 500.00, and it has a main container for the MM and plants, then two separate containers on both sides with bio balls, then another sump area that holds the pump. one pvc leads from the tank to the first set of bioballs, travels through the MM and plants, then through the second set of bioballs to the sump with the pump that goes through the tube back into the tank...I think it may hold about 30-40 gal of water total...just an estimation...I can find out through my lfs how much it actually holds...pretty powerful pump...does that make sense??:notsure:

sure it makes sense.
yes I did most of it myself. pump is now a mag5 ~$60-70 and the HOB overflow was $75 or so. filter box was $5 for home depot (they cut it to my specs). sand ~$1, lava rocks $2/40 pounds. The filter box now has crushed oyster shells that cost $3/40pounds as well as fewer lava rocks. The plumbing was $30 or so. The container was $5 and held 15 g.
I now realize that two seperate containers would have been better. the water level in this combined sump/refug has to be much lower than if a seperate container was used for the refug and just drained to the sump. That way the refug could full of water allowing more volumn for plants.
I also have an in tank back wall refug as in this later thread: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/101556/in-tank-back-wall-refugium
and that is very promissing.
edit So much so that if the nitrAtes finally go down to 0.0, I am considering alternatives to eliminating the external sump/fug altogether. I will have to find some way of replacing the action in the next paragraph.
Finally as stated above I have replaced the CC shown in the filter box with crushed oyster shells. That and upgrading the pump to the mag5 has allowed my calcium to go from 250-300 to ~400ppm.

redarizona

WOW!!!Aweswome...I hope I can learn enough to think of ways to do things myself...afraid it will be a long time though...thanks again for your help and information...:)