Refugium and skimmer

Mark666

If a refugium is being used, is a protein skimmer needed? What about a HOB filter? Was thinking about an AquaClear 110. But don't want a refugium and any other filter(s) to end up canceling each other out of that makes sense?

Last edited:

Mark666

How large of a refugium do you recommend for say anywhere from a 55 to a 90 gallon fish only? And what kind of lighting for macro? I'd like to eventually get it to where the algae in the refugium is the only source of filtration.

Last edited:

lmforbis

The algae will keep your nitrates and phosphates down but your rock will also be a major part of your filtration. I’d say 10-20% of your tank volume. I use a grow light I got on amazon. The light emitted is pink. It is a fairly large light which I have on at night and off during the day. BRS has a really good video on lighting refugiums. It shows several lights from cheap hardware store CFLs to very expensive lights. It shows how well chaeto grows and how well it removes nitrates from the water over time.

Mark666

The algae will keep your nitrates and phosphates down but your rock will also be a major part of your filtration. I’d say 10-20% of your tank volume. I use a grow light I got on amazon. The light emitted is pink. It is a fairly large light which I have on at night and off during the day. BRS has a really good video on lighting refugiums. It shows several lights from cheap hardware store CFLs to very expensive lights. It shows how well chaeto grows and how well it removes nitrates from the water over time.
1 to 1.5 lbs./ gallon for rock, correct?

Mark666

Looking at the Marco Rocks "reef saver" dry rock on the BRS site. How many lbs/gallon would you suggest? Thank you for all your help and advice!!