Refugium Help!!

liljay0418

Alright I been reading here lately about diy refugium's. I have a 65 gal. flat back half hex acrylic tank. I've been reading about other people setting up their "nanos" this way. With the overflow at the back of the tank,and some rubble,chaeto,etc. Well mine is like that only on a larger scale (theres like 6 different chambers in the back of the tank) I'm wondering if anybody is familar with this tank and may have modified it in this way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks........

liljay0418

Here's some pics the overflow starts in the far right chamber,which has a heater/sponge filter, the second chamber has a bigger sponge filter,3rd and 4th have cloth filter material on top and bio balls on bottom,5th is mt,and 6th has pump return/skimmer.

liljay0418

Whole tank shot. All of the back of the tank is the built in sump, with the different chambers. Thanks in advance!!

gatorwpb

You dont have much area to work with but you could probably remove the cloth materials and bio balls (both of which can be nitrate producers unless cleaned very frequently) and replace them with cheatomorpha. Google "refugium lighting" and go to melevs website. As the cheato grows, it will act like the sponge filter and clean the water. Then about once a month, remove a clump of cheato and toss it (or give to a friend).