Refugium overflowing

So here's the deal I am in the process of adding a refugium that is separate from my sump system. I have everything plumbed and ready; the corner overflows on main tank flow to refugium then refugium flows to sump and skimmer then back to main tank. The refugium is fairly small but I have 2 400 return pumps sending water to sump as well as a gravity fed bulkhead overflow yet between the 3 I cannot get enough water flow to keep the refugium from filling faster than they can send water to sump. I am wondering if there is any other solution than buying a new bigger pump (which I would like to avoid for cost reasons and space reasons) that could solve my overflow problem. I thought about adding ball valves to the lines coming off main tank into refugium to slow flow but not sure how that would affect main tank water level. I also already have a ball valve setup on my magdrive return pump in the sump. Any thoughts.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableforglasses http:///t/394715/refugium-overflowing#post_3513275
So here's the deal I am in the process of adding a refugium that is separate from my sump system. I have everything plumbed and ready; the corner overflows on main tank flow to refugium then refugium flows to sump and skimmer then back to main tank. The refugium is fairly small but I have 2 400 return pumps sending water to sump as well as a gravity fed bulkhead overflow yet between the 3 I cannot get enough water flow to keep the refugium from filling faster than they can send water to sump. I am wondering if there is any other solution than buying a new bigger pump (which I would like to avoid for cost reasons and space reasons) that could solve my overflow problem. I thought about adding ball valves to the lines coming off main tank into refugium to slow flow but not sure how that would affect main tank water level. I also already have a ball valve setup on my magdrive return pump in the sump. Any thoughts.
The valves is how I regulate mine. You want the water going to the refugium to be slow but steady. I also have all my pumps on a single power strip to create a kind of emergency shut off system by the touch of as single button.
The sump as you know must not overflow when the system is shut off. and it should still be full enough to keep the pumps from being exposed, and the skimmer running properly. It's a delicate balance but once you get it...it's pretty much worry free.

bang guy

I agree with flower. There is no need to send all of the water from the tank through the refugium. Split the line and send most of the water directly to the sump will only an offshoot, controlled by a valve, going to the refugium.

So would you guys send one of the 2 overflow lines straight to the sump and one to the refugium or just regulate the flow of both lines to the refugium?

bang guy

Ahhh missed that there are two lines. I would send both directly to the Sump but split one of them to bleed some water to the refugium. Again, a valve on the refugium feed to control the amount.

Got it. I like that idea a lot. For some reason I was dead locked into getting all the water into the refugium that I didn't even see that simple solution.
Thanks!