refugium placement

bellsmums

Setting up a refugium. Can I set this below tank? If so, how? I'm afraid to put over tank, so much weight. Five gallon of water plus sand, rock and everything in it.

wildemon

You might be better with a hang on back at that small size like from Ecosystemaquarium. Otherwise you find a way to drain water from an overflow in your tank down to the refugium and rely on a pump to push the water back up to your 55 gallon. Most of the tiny lifeforms growing as food will survive the trip through the pump's impeller. Of course if you have plumbed in a sump you can just set the refugium in there.
William Fisher

I

irenicus

I read somewhere that most "critters" do no survive the impeller when making the trip upwards, that is why people have their fuge above the tank. I wish I can site my source but I can not find it. I'm sure others will chime in if i'm incorrect.

cgavduece

I found this website when I was doing a little research on refugiums. It seems pretty informative and the setup the guy has looks successful:
http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dyn.../refugium.html
Also, does anyone have any suggestions on setting up a 10 gallon refugium next to my 12 gallon nanocube. I don't know whether I should have pumps as the means of moving the water to and from the refugium. My only other option is continously syphoning the water from the nanocube into the refugium and a pump pushing the water back into the nanocube.