refugium question

jsab

My tank has been established for about two months with a fluval 404 and nitrates in the 10-20ppm range. I am considering removing it and using a refugium which from what I have read is much much better. My question is, since the tank isn't drilled, I'm not sure about the water flow out of the tank. Do I use an overflow box first? and how do I control the flow of water so that the outflow equals the return so that I don't flood the floor. TIA.

rykna

Well, there is a refugium that hangs off the back of the tank it has a skimmer too. It was about 220 dollars last time I looked. I found it on
No Links Please
I don't have a sump onmy tank......hope this helps

stanlalee

you'll need an overflow box, return pump, return spout and tubing. go to e-gay and put AQUARIUM-WET-DRY-FILTER-OVER-FLOW-BOX-DIY-KIT in the search box. everything you need for $92 You dont really need to match flow other than not exceeding the flow rate of the overflow box and not using a return pump so small it cant maintain the siphon. Make sure the sump can handle the flow as well. If its a bought sump it will often have a flow rating. If I were to buy a 600gph overflow I generally try to get a 600gph pump. that way after height/plumbing loss you dont have to worry about exceeding the overflow boxes limit and it will flow enough to easily maintain the siphon. Currently though I have a 480gph return pump and a 600gph overflow and it works fine (especially for the size tank and sump I have...30g and 10g sump.)