Refugium questions

I have a 55 gal. long and am thinking about adding a refugium underneath the stand.
Some questions:
1. There has to be some overflow from the main tank down into the refugium. Is the only way to achieve this by drilling a hole into the glass of the aquarium? If this is the case then I may have to pass on the idea.
2. I can't think of anyway to balance a pump flow rate going into a refugium with a pump flow rate going out of the refugium so I'm assuming you HAVE to have a gravity feed either in or out. How do you account for power outages where the pump will go out but obviously the gravity feed will still be running?
3. Does anyone know of a site or have themselves some simple plans for a refugium?

oceanjumper

I just setup a refugium connected to a pump. There are different options to make a refugium.
I would recommend to do a search on this forum with keyword "refugium". You will get to see all the threads. I'm sure it will give you a better mental image of what you can/want. If you still have (more specific) questions, please post them. We will help you as much as we can.