Refugium/ sump/ overflow help confusion

kainrahl

I guess i just dont get it. What exactly and how exactly can i make one for my 75 gallon tank and what are they???? How can i make one cheap, also is anyone selling one for cheap??? welll thanks in advance

dreeves

The overflow (if your tank isn't drilled) brings the water to the sump.
The sump is where the filtration takes place, the water conditioning, etc. The sump also can be used to increase your total water capacity for your system as well.
The refugium is a low current side tank, which is commonly used for filtering plants such as Caulerpa, Mangroves, etc.
Commonly used for the sump is a Rubbermaid container. Water comes in from overflow (mine goes into an acrylic box filled with bio-balls, then drains out the bottom panel), goes through the filtration, then is returned to your tank. I myself, have put a "T" connection, actually a couple, in the return like with a ball valve which supplies the refugium with my Mangroves. This is then overflowed back into the sump which has a 400gph powerhead circulating the water in the sump.
Only modification the the Rubbermaid container is a hole cut in the front for the return pump water supply.
For this particular tank, I use a 5.5 gallon AGA tank sitting about 8 inches above the sump. Being supplied by the return line "T", I have built a siphon overflow system which returns the water right adjacent to the return pump input.
The two most expensive aspects of this type of system is the return pump and the overflow. On this tank I use a Little Giant 5 return pump and a LifeReef overflow. Everything else was purchased at Home Depot for under about 50 bucks or so (PVC plumbing, 32 gallon container, etc).
Also, when I set this system up, I moved it all to the basement, so I had to have the bigger pump to lift the water backup through the floor. Under the tank, I could have gotten by with a pump half the cost of what I spent.
Good luck in getting it all sorted out. It is really (for me) a better way to go.

kainrahl

ok i guess i need a little more specific.
I have a 75 gallon no predrilled. where do i get an overflow? and a return pump? which ones? What do i need pvc pipe for?? pictures would help some? thanks in advance

cboyfan2020

kainrahl......
A sump is a box of water basically. I use a tank for mine and it sits in the stand.
I have a hang-on-back(HOB) overflow that sits on the main tank with one side in and one side out. Water from the tank is pulled into the overflow and get sucked into the outside part through a vacuum that is created via tubes. The water runs down to the sump via PVC pipe. Depending on what you have in your sump(protein skimmer, refugium, etc.) it will pass to the return pump eventually. This is what sends the water back to the main tank through more PVC pipe. It is basically one big cycle. tank to sump to tank to sump. This extra water in the sump increases the total water volume of your tank making it more stable. Sorta diluting elements in the tank. i will attach a sketch of my sump/refuge so you can have a general idea. Also doing a search will give you numerous threads and pics to sift through.
A refugium is a space where water comes into contact with macroalgae. These are plant like algaes that absorb nitrates, phosphates and other elements in the water column. Basically a natural filter. It requires a slower flow rate compared to a sump because the water needs time to allow the algae to soak up the nutrients.
I hope this helps but if you have any more questions ask. The only dumb question is the one that isnt asked. Good luck.
you can buy these items any any drygoods store such as SWF.com or a host of others. I would steer clear of CPR overflows and Rio pumps. Life reef overflows and mag drive pumps are very good IMO.

dreeves

Water pump- gph more then 500gph for the distance between then pump and the tank...pumps lose their pressure at increased height...several to chose from, Little Giant, Iwaki, Mag-Drive, etc. Measure the distance from your floor below the tank (where the sump will be) and to the top of the tank (maybe about 4-5 feet)...look for the gph in this distance range.
Overflow box- LifeReef, Marineland SOS, Amiracle
PVC to plumb the overflow to the sump and the return line back to the tank, and the spray bar.
This is my 45 sump/setup

uking

Buddy unless you have someone there to show you how to do it, I would save up some money and buy one (used) or new. Once you have seen it and used it then you should be able to get away with a home made version. The one thing you dont want to happen is for something to be off balanced. For example......If its not made right and you have one of thse power outages like in the middle of the night or when your at work.............your tank wll over flow into the sump take. If you fabricate anything, make sure you get more than just a little advise. Look for a used one. If you really want to go that route I would really consider getting a pre drilled tank. Or tanking your take and getting it drilled. A over flow box hanging off the back can cause a loud sucking noise also. I am sure you want your tank to be as silent as possilbe. with a predrilled tank .......you dont here hardly anything.
If you want to make a wet dry yourself.........its really easy *(once you know what needs to be done)
You can put one inside the tank with out drilling the tank. You would need glue and acrylic/ the water would over flow at the top, trickle over your bio balls and then at the bottom you can have a whole drilled inside the acrylic wetdry box where your return pumps will push water out of. this way you dont have ever worry about leaks. and you dont hear a thing. the pumps are under water so all you hear s a lttle vibration. (thats puttin things simple)
good luck

dreeves

kainral...
Don't be too swayed by the previous post...this is not rocket science.
The sump in my pic is a Marineland Tidepool I. I wish I would have saved the extra 50-60 bucks and made this one myself as I did my other one. But we live to learn.
Anyways, the plumbing and all in my pic is alot to do with the sumps are in the basement, and the tanks are on the first floor.
I have since added an additional "T" from the return line back to the sump. This additional "T" has a "T" in it as well. The first "T" is to relieve back pressure from the pump...the second "T" is to send the tank water to the sink for water changes. That line goes to the ceiling and across the room down to the sink.
In addition, I have added another return line down from a little hex tank I setup a couple of weeks ago semi-attached to the 45. Water is pump from the 45 into the hex, and the hex overflow brings it down to the same sump.
All in all, it is just a matter of what you want your sump and filtration to do. The Tidepool sump uses Marineland's bio-wheel. The sump I made drops the tank water into an acrylic box I made about 12x9x13 inches which brakes on a plate about 2" below the intake, spreads out over a couple of gallons of bio-balls, then flows out the bottom.
It is all really simple. And working with the PVC and allowing extra spaces for errors, or changes...it is very easy.
Mad scientist...

It gets easier to understand and DIY as you investigate further. Do some searches here to find other members set-ups.
I have two overflows on my 125 g tank. They are Marineland Tidepool SOS brand. I like them, very reliable. Don't make your own overflows and don't get a cheap one. This is not the place to skimp. A good overflow is well worth its cost. Lifereef makes good ones as well.
I have one overflow hose teed in my tank stand so that one side goes to a rubbermaid tub 'refugium' and the other goes to my glass tank 'sump'. The other overflow hose flows directly into my sump. The rufugium tub is from the hardware store, cheap. The sump is a leftover from my sister-in-laws garage, free.
I have my refugium set up on a modular shelf to be about 8" off the floor of my tank cabinet. That way I just allow the refugium to drain into the sump via gravity through two bulkheads.
I have my protein skimmer and return pump in my sump.
I plumbed my return line to have to outlets, one on each back corner of the tank.
You will have to learn a little about plumbing to get this set up. There is no way around it. But, you will be fine. I learned a great deal will setting up my tank, and it was WELL worth it.
Keep asking questions, do forum searches and you will be on your way.
Good luck,
-Christine