refugium vs. sump

deejeff442

i want to get rid of my wet/dry in my 150 gallon .
i have an extra 45 gallon tank i want to make into a refugium or sump.
i like the idea of alot more water volume with the sump with a phosphate reactor but is the refugium a better set up?
can i add rock and sand to a sump?
if so with the phosphate remover in it why would i need plant life?

vivioo7

Id go with a refugium so that you can have a macro algae which will remove other nutrients besides phosphates and wont lower you dkh as bad as phosban. It will also give a place for pods to grow and a remote deep sand bed if you want. You can add rock and sand to a sump as long as you dont let any get to the pumps but why would u want to?

big

Originally Posted by vivioo7
http:///forum/post/2813797
Id go with a refugium so that you can have a macro algae which will remove other nutrients besides phosphates and wont lower you dkh as bad as phosban. It will also give a place for pods to grow and a remote deep sand bed if you want. You can add rock and sand to a sump as long as you dont let any get to the pumps but why would u want
to?

Yep I had a big "Living Color" wet-dry...... With some modifications it is now a big fuge...........

deejeff442

yea my wet/dry is bretter big 4 foot long it would probably make a better refugium than the 45 gallon tank i have.
the 45 is too tall for the cabinet .
so the refugium needs 3 compartments so whats the best order for the equiptment?
maybe the refugium starting on the left ,return pump in the middle and the skimmer on the right?
put drain lines in the refugium and skimmer compartments?

big

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/2814167
yea my wet/dry is bretter big 4 foot long it would probably make a better refugium than the 45 gallon tank i have.
the 45 is too tall for the cabinet .
so the refugium needs 3 compartments so whats the best order for the equiptment?
maybe the refugium starting on the left ,return pump in the middle and the skimmer on the right?
put drain lines in the refugium and skimmer compartments?
I think anyone modifying a Wet-Dry into a Sump- Refugium may need to do some head scratching and maybe changes over time to the design, as they see how it works, I know I have. .......Differently designed W-D's may have different requirements...... Maybe this would be a good Thread "Modifying Wet-Dries into Sumps-Fuges............
Considerations in the way I did mine where, maximum water volume so as to hold the most possible amount of both Chaeto and Live Rock.....Remember too I DO NOT have the space limitations of an under the tank set up... Mine is a loop system to my basement.......... A far too costly set up if you ever would ask my wife.........
The configuration of mine had the intake at one end with baffles and the skimmer intake pipe.... Then it flows to a center compartment with Chaeto. Then down under a baffle forcing the water threw a bed of Aragonite covering the bottom of the other two baffled chamber areas to a depth of about 3 inches deep...... This may seem to be odd, but what it does is uses the Aragonite af a sand filter. This was an afterthought arrangement that seems to work well...... I over time reduced the DT from a DSB to a shallow one gradually moving the extra to the fuge........ The third chamber is full of Oyster shell rubble and Live Rock rubble with the tank return line and the skimmer outflow.........
This is a not perfect set up and I am working on a few changes to it now to produce a larger pod supply like adding an addition second tank as an additional Pod production source........Plus I keep think about adding a "Algae Scrubber" system too.

deejeff442

i grew up in buffalo ny and it was nice to have a basement.my friend up there also runs his filter system in the basement.i would have a bigger tank if i had one .
i was going to gut the whole wet/dry out and use the shell.
i dont want to try and modify the way the system is set up.

big

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/2814408
i grew up in buffalo ny and it was nice to have a basement.my friend up there also runs his filter system in the basement.i would have a bigger tank if i had one .
i was going to gut the whole wet/dry out and use the shell.
i dont want to try and modify the way the system is set up.

Good luck keep us posted on how it goes.......