Regal Angels

reptilicus

Hi,
basically, as was previously stated, no large angels are reef safe, the closest is probably the majestic angel (E. narvarchus). To be honest, pygmy angels are not always reef safe either, but I have a beautiful flame in my reef anyway, and he hasn't caused any problems as of yet.
Regal Angelfish have a reputation for being extremely difficult to keep, and even if you get them eating they often wither and die in a short period of time. Of course, there are exceptions, but to me the mortality rate is too high to justify keeping one, and these fish should be left on the reef, along with things like Moorish Idols, Goniopora, etc.
Also, large angels get very big, often over a foot in length, and consequently need a very large tank, 150 gal minimum IMO. I kept an emperor for years in a FOWLR, they are a beautiful fish, but I would not keep another one. I may try a small majestic in my reef at some stage, though.
REgards,
Tom

reptilicus

if you put human in a box to live his whole life it wouldn't grow to normal size either but that does not mean you should do it. Please only keep fish who will grow to their natural size and live a similar life to the one they would in the wild. Otherwise, the fish will simply stress and die, and a fish was taken from the reef for no reason. It is this sort of irresponsble purchasing that leads to people lashing out at the hobby as a whole, and to make sure that it is still there in the future we must encourage responsible, humane treatment of all the animals in our aquariums.
I'm not trying to flame you, just trying to explain myself.
Regards,
Tom

jimi

Tom is totally correct. People need to be more responsible. Some marine species should not be kept unless your an expert with a very large tank. Most pet stores do not care about the fish their in it for the money. Certain fish and inverts are extremely hard to keep yet you will find them in pet stores all the time. Mandarins, certain butterflys, and some tangs should only be kept by experts or left on the reef.