Regal Blue Or Hippo Tang?

captainmo25

I PURCHASED A REGAL BLUE OR HIPPO TANG THIS WEEKEND AND IT IS STILL HIDING. IS THIS NORMAL. WILL IT HIDE LIKE THIS FOREVER OR WILL IT COME OUT AND BECOME MORE ACTIVE?

sleasia

Yes it is normal. Hippo tangs do tend to hide alot, especially if they are small and able to wiggle in between the narrow spaces between live rock and coral branches. they come out to feed alot though and once they grow a bit bigger, they have fewer hiding places. They are beautiful fish, but this is one of the draw backs they hide alot....:(

ocellaris_keeper

These are really cool looking fish - when they're aclimated and hungry. If they're not hungry they hide and if they're scared they hide.
But otherwise it's a great looking fish!!

nm reef

Captainmo....first let me

you to our forums. I hope you stay around long enough to gain some useful knowledge and in turn help others along the way!
I've kept a hippo for several months now any really like the fish...they can be problematic though. They are prone to ick...and other parasitic problems. They will grow to a rather large size and most folks would suggest at least a 55 or even 75 gal display for them.
Tell us more about your system...how long has it been set-up...circulation/filtration/other fish? Results of recent tests for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate...the more info you provide the easier it may be to help answer your questions.
As a rule I've found hippos to adapt easily to a new home...but they can take a little time to adjust...at night mine will always sleep in the same spot but during the day he is always out and about. Hopefully yours will adjust.....best of luck.

“In the 60’s folks took acid to make the world weird...now that the world is weird they take prozac to make it normal!”
nmreef@cox.net

shanev

In your profile you say ou have a 30 gallon. Is this what the hippo tang is in? If so please take him back to the LFS you got him from, the tank is really too small for him. Hippo Tangs are prone to ich breakouts espically in smaller tanks.