Regal in 200 with cloudy eyes.

reeflaw

This morning 7 inch Regal Tang suddenly had cloudy eyes. :help: He is in an established 200 gal reef tank which has tankmates of only 3 yellow tangs; a powder blue; gobie; and 4 clowns.
The levels are all good, and nothing happened except for the introduction of two new corals that are very healthy. The temp is a little high due to halides, but I have had them for over 4 months, and everything is very healthy until this morning. The rest of the Regal shows no symptoms of disease. Any ideas? (A picture of this tang is in old posting from me.) Thanks.

reeflaw

I am going to try "dipping" him later, and then quaranteen in my 75 gal, maybe with some antibiotics. Any other ideas? Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
NO DIPS!
Are you saying that the regal has been in your tank for 4 mos? What are your water readings? And how high is the temp? Can you post a picture?

reeflaw

I meant I have had those halides for 4 months or more. I am at work, and will post a pic later. PH is 8.2 and the salt is .124. Nitrates and Amonia are .25 or less; and calcium is about 475. The temp does get to 83 sometimes but usually less, with the use of fans and watching the photo periods with the lights generating most of the heat. I know I need a chiller. There hasn't been anything about the temp that is any different that would suddenly have caused this is what makes me wonder if temp has anything to do with the problem.

reeflaw

I have heard that I should dip, and also that it is a bad idea. Can anyone give me more insight into whether it is a good idea to dip in RO water of the same temp and PH for 3-5 minutes? Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How long have you had the fish? That ammonia can cause sickness and even death, and cloudy eyes can be a prelude to ich.
Dips are fairly stressful, and is only valid in rather severe cases when followed by standard treatments, such as copper or hyposalinity. By itself, you will not accomplish anything.

reeflaw

Beth, thanks for the explanation. I have had "Dori" for about 3 months. Until this morning, queen (or king) of the tank. She seems fine except for her eyes. Can amonial at such a low level be the problem?? I will try and post a pic of her later.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely it can. Why do you have ammonia, however?
Also, unless you have noticed ich, after three month, we can rule that just about out as a problem....unless its gone unnoticed by you.

reeflaw

Beth, I am sure all the fish have been healthy. I don't know the source of the amonia. I have good filtration and flow, and a wide variety of inhabitants. I also do water changes etc. Here are pics I just took.. what do you think?

reeflaw

Just checked my amonia level, and it is higher than I have seen it since I set the tank up. It is around 1.0 and maybe is the cause of the problem as you suggest. I will work on more of a water change than I have been doing (which has been about 4 gal per week) Any comments on this?

reeflaw

Beth, does it appear this is amonia burn? If so are the water changes what I should be doing, and can the fish recover?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, its not an ammonia burn, but fish do get cloudy eyes under stress. Have you done water changes to try and bring that ammonia down. You have to address that problem.
Water flow?
Food?
Filters?
Substrate?
Something Died in tank?

reeflaw

changed 15 gal total yesterday and today. Amonia is already half of yesterday's reading. I will stay on that. Otherwise everthing looks really good. The only thing different was that I intentionally stirred up the sand alittle. Could that have raised the level? Prob not enough water changed is my thought. The fish get fresh veg; cyclopeeze; some dry food; and either a little mysis or popcorn shrimp and/or a little Formula one.. There is a good variety and they aren't overfed. As for water flow, I have 4 powerheads in addition to the two returns. Other than a wrasse disappearing 2 weeks ago all heads are accounted for.
Does this damage appear permanent? Sure doesn't look good to me, although she is still active in the back of the tank and otherwise looks very healthy. Can this reverse? Thanks.

reeflaw

Great news :happyfish :happyfish :jumping:
After two days the eyes are a lot better, and she was able to come out and actively see and eat food.
What a relief. I am doubling the amount of my water changes which appears to be the problem. Thanks for you help, and would welcome any other comments or suggestions.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No! Don't double it. Too much of a good thing, could be a bad thing. What is the ammonia situation?

reeflaw

Just a little over .25
I won't get too heavy on the water change which would have put me at 20% of 200 gal approx (and I have a lot of live rock). Once I get the amonia fully under control do you recommend about 15%, or does it depend on the levels?

reeflaw

That would certainly avoid any sudden changes. Wouldn't it make sense to do three or four gallons at a time so as to be able to suction the sand? In any event, you feel I should be at about 15% a month? By the way, the fish is almost completely healed. What a relief.