Remeber to wear your protection!!!

mandarin w

Please remember to wear protection when working in your tank,
And fraging. This evening we were informed that one of the boys that works at the LFS was fraging some zoo's he got zoanthid juice in his eye. Today when he when in to work, he fainted and came to. They got him up in the chair, and he kept fainting in the chair. At first the young man that worked there also thought this 16 year old had just had too much partying last night. After he called the boys parents, he called a ambulance. To make a long story short, The boy is now in intensive care for "Palytoxin Poisoning" I just wanted to remind everyone, there are so many new hobbyist here, to wear gloves, and eye protection when fraging, and wash your hands thoughly when you are done. Some of these corals can be very dangerous if we get them into our system.

mandarin w

I just wanted to keep this on the first page for more than a couple hours, I feel it is important, and everyone should see it.

michaeltx

fragging is takeing a larger coral and cutting it or breaking it to make smaller corals that will grow into larger corals in time.
Mike
BTW welcome to the board.

reefkprz

I agree completely mandarin thats why a while ago I actually made a thread called "the truth about palytoxins" any one that want more info on paly toxins can look that up with the forum search. Its always good to remind people, and to let newer people know there is some risks that are easy to avoid with proper care. Better safe than sorry!

kayak385

that scares me.
The only fraggin I have done is take a small pc of kenya tree off a hermit crab's shell and placed it on rock (all done underwater so no squirting my eyes).

kayak385

I don't think this is thread stealing but... I'm going to ask:
If a coral is on a snail's shell, can it kill the snail?
There is a coral on my snail I bought and it is dead now, I'm sad but the coral seems to be ok.

michaeltx

IMO yes in time can. it will cause a lot of exxcess weight and if encrusting can cause problems to.
JMO
Mike

jayeden

asking questions will only further this threads popularity which gets the original message intended out anyways....i dont think its the type of thread which can be stolen haha...im not sure of your question...but...what type of snail is it?

kayak385

Originally Posted by jayeden
asking questions will only further this threads popularity which gets the original message intended out anyways....i dont think its the type of thread which can be stolen haha...im not sure of your question...but...what type of snail is it?
Astrea Snail. The coral on it is round and orange. Looks like a crater.

bjlled

What sort of hand/arm protection do you use when digging in the tank. I am getting pretty sick of the very chapped hands / burning (if i have any sort of scrape or anything). Just looking as to what I should buy that would go to my elbows.

kayak385

Protection: I don't use it, my girlfriend has told me that the oils and bacteria on my skin isn't good for my tank so I am also thinking about getting some, but with all of the time my body from hand to shoulder have been in the tank, the fish don't mind me for it anymore, and I haven't seen anything extreme but things could build up so I watch carefully.

michaeltx

They make rubber gloves that go all the way up the arm just have to search for them on the net. also check the links on the left side to see if they have them I dont remember seeing them though.
Mike

murph145

i actually experinced this tonight while fraggin these large palythoas for our winner of the photocontest we held earlier in the photography forum...
anyways i fragged some zoos before and never experienced this like i did tonight....
while fragging i was using a razor blade to peel off the zoas off the rock i ended up cutting a few at the base and the liquids spilled out onto my fingers ... these are large palys about 1-2" long and 1/2-3/4" wide at the top... and they contain alot of liqiuds
anyways to make a long story short about 20 mins later i got really light headed and felt alomst faint i had to sit down and try to relax it was really strange and it took me a second to figure out what had happened... the effect are still kind of lingering but i feel much better now
anyways be cautious everyone zoas are pretty dangerous as i just found out!
heres the culprits my jolly green giant playthoas

azfishgal

I apprecaite the post, as it's an important fact us newbies need to know. The books I've read havn't said much about it (or I missed it), but just using my own common sense I figured some of those corals could probably make you sick, not to mention fish taking a bite out of you.
. I do remember reading clowns like to take a bite at time, which surprised me. I for one will have gloves when working in my tank, for safety and so I don't put anything toxic in my tank from soaps, lotions, etc.
Thanks again, warning has been noted.

hatessushi

You can get the long rubber gloves from most of the online salt water fish supply sites. Mine are orange and run all the way up to my shoulder and work great unless you have to do detail work like removing a nori clip from the side of the tank. You can't grab a hold of it.
There was a thread a few days ago that saying they weren't scared of sticking their bare hands in the tank. Then the thread changed and other were telling him what could happen. There should be a BOLD lettered post stickied at the top of the Reef forum about protecting ones self at all times.
I hope that LFS guy will be okay. Please let us know what happens to him.

sfoister

Originally Posted by azfishgal
I apprecaite the post, as it's an important fact us newbies need to know. The books I've read havn't said much about it (or I missed it), but just using my own common sense I figured some of those corals could probably make you sick, not to mention fish taking a bite out of you.
. I do remember reading clowns like to take a bite at time, which surprised me. I for one will have gloves when working in my tank, for safety and so I don't put anything toxic in my tank from soaps, lotions, etc.
Thanks again, warning has been noted.
Back in the day we used to have a domino damsel that would bite at us while we cleaned the tank, or worked in the water. He would also jump out of the tank to take food from our fingers if we held it just a couple inches from the surface.
Funny little thing. Of course he never hurt, dominos are the Rudy of the marine world. :)

mandarin w

Well I talked the other one that works at the store, (the one that called EMS. The 16year old is still in Intensive Care on a vertalator. Time will tell. This kids knew better that not to wear gloves or eye protection. He grew up with reefs, and had been working at the store since he was 13. It is just another case of being to lazy to put gloves and glasses on, or thinking nothing has ever happened, nothing will. We still haveing heard about his sight. This kid is a member of our reef club, and is very dear to all of our hearts. I just don't want someone getting sick, and their spouse, or kids or even the hobbyist not have a clue want is going on. Because noone knew they could get sick.
Sorry my train of though doesn't travel down just one track. I know I jump around and back and forth. Sorry.