remora: tank size

sharkboy13

i was wonderin if yall knew what size tank a remora needs. my lfs has one in a 55gal and hes doin fine but what do u think.

S

surfinusa

they get large about 2-3 feet long and need parasites to eat so they need a large tank with a shark

lavagirl

i could be mistaken but i dont think all remoras need a shark host. there is a cheneis naucrates remora thats at an aquarium i go to and it doesnt have a host, unless you count the glass window which is is constantly stuck to. he eats fine too, just about everything that goes in the tank in fact.
however a remora in a 55 is bad news... in fact i dont think a remora could even turn around in a 55.

aw2eod

No matter if you have 5 threads, about the same thing....it's not gonna work. Plain and simple...it's not gonna work.

natep206

instead of a shark u should use a sea turtle!!!!!!!
hahahahahah jk. first get a couple thousand gallon tank with LOTS of macro algae/sea weed and a steady suplie of sea jellys!!!!
nate

ophiura

Here are some facts:
1) they do not need host sharks. I assure you that they do not need parasites to eat.
2) they grow large, EXCEEDINGLY aggressive. I worked with them in 40,000 g tanks....YES 40,000g tanks. They attacked my hands. They grow HUGE...and IMO no one has any business owning them in a home tank less that many thousands of gallons and why you would even then, I do not know.

hook

lfs has one in a huge ass tank made out of cement bricks that are lined with plastic... water is probably 3ftx6ftx12ft? its pretty cool, they said it has a meaty diet....

sharkboy13

ok look a) i did not mean to make 2 threads, im sry there
b)something about all ur posts is telling me that they might get big, bigger than my tank, and i appreciate ur help.

ophiura

And they have a rather unpleasant bite, as I have learned several times while I was cleaning (diving) in the tank. Ultimately, they were all killed and removed.