Remove plastic center brace on tank

pepito113

I was wondering if there was a way to remove the Plastic center brace on my tank. Its runs across the tank in the center from the front to the back. I know they place it there for support. I am wondering is any has done it with success. Its a 65 gallon tank length across 36", front to back is 18" and up and down or top to bottom is 24". So its a tall tank.

monsinour

you could remove that brace. But once you do, then your 65 gallon becomes a reptile tank and not a fish tank. Its there for a reason, dont remove it.

pepito113

I agree that its there for a reason. The problem is that I have read that my metal halide could melt or brake that center piece. I have read not to place a metal halide over that piece. But I dont have a choice. They only sell single metal halide for my tank. And they all come in the middle.
So I would rather try to remove and possible reinforce my tank another way, then one day it bending from the heat or brake from the stress and heat and possible have a failure.

meowzer

I would not do it either.....eventually (sooner rather then later) the tank will come apart. I had a 55G that the center broke, and it was a matter of hours before we saw it start to bow out

spanko

1 Sell the Halide and go T5 or LED. or
2 36" Outer Orbit 2x150watt or
3 Hamilton Technology 36" Metal Halide Fixtures, 2x250 W 10K or
4 2x K2 viper Clamp on lights.
I agree with everyone don't cut the brace out.

E

eric b 125

i agree with not removing the center brace. there are plenty of 36" MH fixtures with two MH.

pepito113

I just bought this one unit less then a month ago. And I dont have money to buy a new light fixture. I will try to watch the plastic center brace. When it brakes or fails I will have to come up with another way to support the tank. Rope or a strap or something.

2quills

If it gets too hot you could try insulating it with something...maybe alluminum foil perhaps. Some people have cut their braces out but it's a huge risk. I don't know of anyone who has had long term success with their tanks not failing after removing them. There was one member here not long ago who's brace actually broke and his tank began to bow out at a result. He had to take the tank down as to avoid the pending dissaster. Can't u just raise the fixture higher somehow?

E

eric b 125

you could try using those large clamps they sell at home depot (not sure the name of the type of clamp i'm thinking of). they would be unsightly, but a rope isnt going to work my friend.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepito113 http:///forum/thread/383938/remove-plastic-center-brace-on-tank#post_3361282
I just bought this one unit less then a month ago. And I dont have money to buy a new light fixture. I will try to watch the plastic center brace. When it brakes or fails I will have to come up with another way to support the tank. Rope or a strap or something.
Buy a strip of reflective grade polished aluminum and bend it to form a steep tent that fits the brace all the way across. This serves two functions, it reflects the light into the water so it's not wasted heating up the center brace and it also shades the center brace from the light so it doesn't melt.

pepito113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/383938/remove-plastic-center-brace-on-tank#post_3361319
Buy a strip of reflective grade polished aluminum and bend it to form a steep tent that fits the brace all the way across. This serves two functions, it reflects the light into the water so it's not wasted heating up the center brace and it also shades the center brace from the light so it doesn't melt.
BANG.. can you be more specific on this strip of reflective polished aluminum. I understand where you are going. But need a better clarification. What you are saying is to build it up on the plastic brace with that material almost forming a triangle towards the light on the base??? What deparment sells that reflective aluminum??? I guess its pliable so I can form it?

bang guy

If you have a 20" X 3" plastic brace then you'd want something like a 20" x 10" piece of aluminum reflector. I've purchased the material online, it's specifically for making reflectors. Fold it lenghtwise into a triangle that's 3" at the base. I just used a table edge to get it started since it doesn't really need to be a precise bend. I siliconed mine on.
The downside it that the salt creep seems to find it somehow so it was one more thing to wipe down every week.

pepito113

OK. I think I got it better now. Bang do you happen to have a picture of this on your tank? Just curious on how it looks.