Removed DSB, do I need more filtration now?

brians

My 125g FOWLR has been running good now for about two years. Filtration consisted of about 130lbs LR, DSB, powerheads(10x turnover), and a Seaclone 150 skimmer. Tank inhabitants include 1 large Hippo Tang, 1 Yellow Tang, 1 clownfish, 1 Coral Beauty, 5 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Skunk Cleaner shrimp, and some snails.
Just recently I had to move the tank into a different room. In the process I decided to get rid of the DSB, partially in fear of stirring it up and also because it was starting to look pretty nasty/ugly, so now I am left with just .5-1". Also, stupidly, in my rush to get the tank set up and fish back in I forget about leaving clearance between the wall and tank so now I only have about 2.5" max back there. The Seaclone doesn't fit now but I'm not so sure it was doing much anyway.
I been running like this for a couple days now. So far the water levels are still good but I wonder, am I going to be in trouble in the near future? Should I get a wet/dry or something? I am going to be kinda limited now with the shallow clearance behind the tank for an overflow or skimmer. I see a Prizm skimmer might fit back there but I know it is probably just as useless or worse than the Seaclone.
On the plus side, my fish seem to be way happier now for the time being. Before the move they use to hide constantly in the rocks. Now, they are all almost always out swimming around. I don't know if it was the removal of the DSB, rearranging of the rocks, or what.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

kdfrosty

I'd say that you should have additional filtration. If I'm correct, the only filtration you have now is LR...no skimmer, no DSB, nothing.
At the very least I would move the tank forward 1.5 inches and put that SeaClone back on there (they do work, BTW), or start using a sump to hold your skimmer and/or other filtration including possibly a refugium.

brians

Your correct, the only filtration I have now is the LR.
I don't think I could move this tank at all without totally emptying it again. Right now it looks like my only option might be to find a very slim overflow to plumb down to a sump or wet/dry. Does anybody know if anybody makes one this thin(2.25-2.5")?

K

kpatrick

I have a 125 and I just moved mine away from the wall far enough to put a 60 gallon sump under the it and then slid it back into place and only had to remove 4 inches of water in the tank. I used the furniture movers (6" circles that you sit under furniture). It took 3 of us to left it up an inch or so in order to get the furniture movers under it but then it was easy to slid. Then replaced the water I removed and all fish and corals were fine.
Owner of LFS moves tanks a lot and he told me that was the best way to do it.

brians

Alright, thanks. I'll give it a try. If I get it moved I'll just put the Seaclone back on for now until I get a sump set up.

J

jcrim

Even if you do get a sump, you will need to move the tank away from the wall to add an overflow.