Removing Emeralds from rocks

meowzer

OK...I think you guys know I had acquired a lot of beautiful live rock...with a severe green bubble algae problem.....it is almost time for me to seperate the emerald crabs from this rock....there are A LOT of emeralds in nooks and crannies
HOW can I get them out w/o hurting or killing them????

blackjacktang

depending on the size of the crab, you can build traps out of soda and drink bottles and put bait inside the bottle trap at night and they go in. Worked for me.

meowzer

LOl..NOOOO...actually the bubble is all gone
I thought you could dip the rock in a higher sg water and they would jump out.....I wanted to make sure on that...and make sure it would not hurt them...we are talking 15 crabs in the 5g and another 15 in the tote

tangs rule

I would think if you removed a rock and over a bucket, poured tonic over a crack where u know one is, just see if it runs him out in 30-60 seconds.....if it does, he'll either scamper across the rock where u could pluck him off, or fall into the bucket - then either way put him back into some saltwater till u can put him somehwere...If it does not work, put the rock back and probably try the trap idea.

katsafados

The high SG will work momma, remmeber when I got the crabs out of my rock? I used a full cup of salt for less then a gallon of water and the crabs still survived. But I wouldnt reccomend going that high in SG lol.

1snapple

Or you could poke them lightly w/ a stick/ syringe, have them run across open rock and grab him off.

truperc

How about creating a stand to put the live rock on. An option would be eggcrate on top of pvc legs.
With the live rock elevated, put a piece of raw shrimp at the bottom of the tank. The crabs, in theory should drop down to the bottom, but will have a difficult time getting back up to the elevated rock.
You could put a smallish piece of rock without crevices on the bottom of the tank. This is so they can hide under it, but can be easily removed. This may further entice them to stay at the bottom of the tank, since they have a hiding spot, rather than trying to figure a way back up to your elevated live rock.
Hope that makes sense.
Good Luck!!

meowzer

well we are doing the 28G tonight.....so I sure hope they jump off the rock.....LOL
I'm gonna lay the rock on tote lids so we can examine the pieces and I HOPE a bunch crawl off....

monsinour

I tried the high SG and the only things that came off the rock were bristle worms, a chiton, and a few feather dusters. None of those made it.