Removing silicon from an old sump?

scopus tang

Rebuilding an old sump that failed (acrylic walls in a glass tank). Have removed all the acrylic pieces and scraped most of the silicon off the walls with a razor blade. However, have silicon still where it is attached to the silicon that seals the tank. Anyone have any suggestions for removing the baffle silicon from the tank silicon without breaking the tank seal?

spanko

Why? Will it interfer with new baffles? Is the tank going to be a display now? Are you just getting a n a l retentive in your old age?
Probably gonna be a bit tricky but a controlled carving with a very sharp x-acto or scalpel would be my only guess.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3221207
Why? Will it interfer with new baffles? Is the tank going to be a display now? Are you just getting a n a l retentive in your old age?
Probably gonna be a bit tricky but a controlled carving with a very sharp x-acto or scalpel would be my only guess.
Well, in addition to being extremely a n a l retentive (which by the way has nothing to do with age
), I'm concerned that it will interfer with sealing the new baffles. So far the only suggestion on several forums - I was really hoping somebody would have a real slick recommendation. ***sigh*** guess its time to get out the scalpels.

bmkj02

You mean on the bottom of the tank where the baffles meet the bottom edge? I had that problem when I removed my baffels. Silicone stuck to the silicone on the bottom tank. I had to cut it off and then reseal the bottom of the tank again. No biggie.

trainfever

Silicone is nearly impossible to remove. I would suggest using a raorblade scraper to get as close to the glass as possible.
When I built my sump out of an old 20 gal tank, I cut 1/2" strips of plexiglass and glued them to the walls of the tank using silicone. Then I glued the baffles against the 1/2" strips. The strips gave the baffles extra strength against the water.

scsinet

I've done this exact thing before... removing old baffles, and I have never been able to remove the silicon from the tank's original silicon. I'd just scootch the new baffle one inch to one side or the other to avoid the original spot, or just bury the old silicon in a big blob of new stuff... not a lot you can do, short of cutting the entire section of the bottom seal out and resealing it, which can be problematic down the road.

ryant

could u use sandpaper since its in the sump and wont matter if u scratch the glass?
edit: my bad, i realize what your trying to do. disregard ^^

scopus tang

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3223417
I've done this exact thing before... removing old baffles, and I have never been able to remove the silicon from the tank's original silicon. I'd just scootch the new baffle one inch to one side or the other to avoid the original spot, or just bury the old silicon in a big blob of new stuff... not a lot you can do, short of cutting the entire section of the bottom seal out and resealing it, which can be problematic down the road.
Thats kind of what I've been thinking as well. I did get some suggestions of using quad 4X steal wool soaked in alcohol to remove the silicon residue left on the tank sides from the old baffles. But as far as the silicon on silicon it appears to either be cut, remove, and reseal tank or move the baffles.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3223608
What about just going at it with a sanding bit on a Dremel?
Its a thought - I've a feeling the silicon would just gum up the sanding bit fairly quickly, but it might be worth a try.