Removing sump epoxy glass guide

liadb

• I am replacing my red sea protein skimmer with a Tunze. There is a piece of glass that they epoxied in to hold their skimmer in place. It's about 1"x4" on the back glass wall of the sump. Any help on a way to remove it safely? It's in the way....

snakeblitz33

If it's siliconed in and all hard surfaces are glass, it's as simple as using a razor blade or sharp knife and cutting it out. Gotta be careful though.

If it is epoxy - because epoxy is different from silicone, It might could just be tapped out. But more than likely it's silicone.

liadb

• I am replacing my red sea protein skimmer with a Tunze. There is a piece of glass that they epoxied in to hold their skimmer in place. It's about 1"x4" on the back glass wall of the sump. Any help on a way to remove it safely? It's in the way....
If it's siliconed in and all hard surfaces are glass, it's as simple as using a razor blade or sharp knife and cutting it out. Gotta be careful though.

If it is epoxy - because epoxy is different from silicone, It might could just be tapped out. But more than likely it's silicone.
Thanks - it probably is silicone. It is clear. Just nervous about ruining the whole thing! I have some good blades from a dreadnought my husband doesn't use! I'll go real slow....

bang guy

Don't worry about getting all of the silicon off the glass, first just focus on cutting away the skimmer. Then it will be easy to scrape off the remaining silicon with the skimmer gone. Sometimes you can even just pull it off once you get it started.