Replace CC with southdown???

tangster

I am thinking of replaceing my CC with southdown. I have a 75 gallon established tank with fish and live rock.
What would be the easiest way to do this with out killing anything.
Should I not remove all the CC and lay sand on top?
PLEASE HELP!!

dad

NO! I'm not sure of how much cc you have, but it has been my experience that you want to get rid of "ALL" the cc you can.
I haven't been around in awhile and I know there has been alot of topics on this.
But trust me: get rid of all the cc you can and be patient in doing so.
I'm sure someone will help out further. ;)

fshhub

in a well established tank one way to do this is
get 2 dividers, taller than your sand bedand section off a part of you bed, abou 1/3,
then take out the cc, and replace with sand, with acouple of days(making sure water is in line),
tehn section off another section and repeat, and so on, if you have lr this can be tricky, and obviously if you have a ugf, it needs to come out, alsoo try to keep your dust low to help alleviate stress on your fish, one thing you can do is add ls, and/or use a pipe(clean unused pvc) and pur the sand through to the bottom, these may help with dust
but by all means get it all out

fshhub

no problem, if you do use SD sand, you may wish to soak it a couple of days first, for this will probably be dusty even when wet, ifit is aragonite as I believe, it is very fine and powdery