Replacement Pump for Skimmer?

fretfreak13

I got this skimmer from a friend in the hobby, however it didn't have a pump attached to it nor does it have a brand name on it. He also gave me a pump he had lying around, but I needed to use it for an emergency overflow problem. Now it's pumping my U syphon, but oh well. I need a new pump. I'm going to take some pics right now, any suggustions?

fretfreak13

You can see the input part where the pump attaches at the bottom of the skimmer, its that black thing jutting out a bit. The pump kinds just sits in there, I had the last one rubberbanded to the skimmer. There's probably a pump that's supposed to screw into it, but I'm not sure which.

scsinet

Shoot... I was hoping that the pics would identify the make/model of the skimmer... I've never seen this one, maybe someone else has.
Is that a union fitting hanging off the skimmer? Is it possible to cut that off and put a piece of flexible hose on there? If so, you can hook up just about any pump to it... like a Mag 5 or something...

fretfreak13

A union...what? XD The blue tube is..kinda flexible. It's just all that I had when I did had it running, it worked ok. It's easily removable. I just had it jammed into the intake of the pump, that's how you're supposed to do it so it'll suck air right? Or does the mag five have a specific air attachment?

emusinky

It looks like my seaclone skimmer. Mine has another threaded tube that rises up to a maxi jet 1200 on it. Google seaclone 100 and take a look.

A

ali19

By a 'union' i think he means the black fitting under the blue tube. A union is like a nut on a pipe that creates a join between another bit of pipe, they are good for when you cant screw something in by twisting the pipe, you just twist the nut on the pipe so you dont have to rotate it. But as far as the skimmer goes i don't know enough to comment. Good luck

scsinet

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3186812
A union...what? XD The blue tube is..kinda flexible. It's just all that I had when I did had it running, it worked ok. It's easily removable. I just had it jammed into the intake of the pump, that's how you're supposed to do it so it'll suck air right? Or does the mag five have a specific air attachment?
Let me answer your question with a question...
Since the skimmer is not in operation, can you remove it from the sump and take a more detailed picture of that intake fitting?