Reseal or Don't Reseal? Old Tank...

wahoowa

So I picked up a 75 gallon Reef Ready off of a guy who had it set up for the past 11 or so years. The sticker on the tank reads 98'. Anyways, he said that he never had any problems with the tank leaking, but I know that a tank this old should probably be resealed. My question is, since I don't really want to scrape all of the seals off since they aren't bad yet and since I don't have anything that would apply enough pressure comparable to the pressure they seal the tanks with out of the factory, do you think that I could just put a larger bead over the existing seals to create a seal around the seal? If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

hammerhed7

I would say if it isnt broke, don't fix it, quality glass tanks can last for over 20 years. If you tried to seal over the old seal the new silicone probably would not stick to the old seal, and be of little use.

aquaknight

Agreed, just because of the age, I would not worry. I would go over every inch of the silicone and check to see if it's still soft/malleable, and there are no big chips or chunks missing from the beads. If all the silicone looks good, and it's still soft, you've got years of the tank ahead of you.

wahoowa

Thanks for the tips guys. What if there are hard places or places that chunks are missing though? Can it?