Retracted Hammer

anjiro

I bought a hammer coral in February and for about three months it did quite well. about two months ago, I lost one head, not a clue as to why but it retracted to the skeleton and within two days it was completely gone, the other four heads have been alive but not healthy. They are only extending about one inch, and are only about twice as wide as a tooth pick, I spot feed it chopped mysis and DT's phytoplankton about once a week. Its in a biocube 29 with moded lights and two korelia nanos, the flow is indirect to the hammer coral. Anybody have any idea why it might be unhappy?

geoj

What is the water numbers?
What else is in the stock list?
Can you post a pic?

anjiro

Amm, trites are 0 Trates are about 10
Calcium 400 PO4 nil, Salinity about 1.026
Stock - 6 hermits, 3 mexican turbos, 8 astrea snails, 5 nerites, 1 serpents star, 1 porcelain crab, 2 emerald crabs, various micro dusters and spagetti worms, Dusky Jawfish, Firefish, Lantern Basslet, and a mandarin goby. I have had all of the fish for about 5 months, no new additions other than coral, it is place on its own with no others too close to it (about a 6 in radius)
as far as a pic, it will have to wait a little while, i just retrived my firefish from the back of the cube and the lights were off for almost an hour, when it re extends I'll take a pic

geoj

Ok you have some tank mates that may crawl over or nip at the coral so keep a look out for it. The pic makes me want to put the hammer in a slower flow area with less light. So what is the light and flow?
pH?
Alk?
Try to move it so the flow makes slight movement in the hammer

anjiro

pH is at 8.2, Alk at 9 dKH or ~160ppm
Flow - stock pump and two K nanos total of 723 gph
Lighting, stock 36watt actinic and 96watt quad bulb
I read an article last night that said hammers prefer sand placement is that a good idea?

geoj

Originally Posted by Anjiro
http:///forum/post/3149276
pH is at 8.2, Alk at 9 dKH or ~160ppm
Flow - stock pump and two K nanos total of 723 gph
Lighting, stock 36watt actinic and 96watt quad bulb
I read an article last night that said hammers prefer sand placement is that a good idea?
The tissue of the hammer is easily damaged so if you can place it so it opens fully without touching the rocks you can put it any place. I think this is why some people put them in the sand, if you do keep the heads up out of the sand.
PS: I think you should find a low flow area and see what happens.

cherylann

The flow should never be directed at this coral. They like moderate light and medium flow. They are a hardy coral and if your having problems with this one either you got a bad specmin or the parameters are not right. Consider moving it and if you have good lighting you should really not have to feed it often. Do not move it frequently just try different placement. The worst thing you can do is change parameters, ie water, light and flow too much just make small changes. Hope this helps.

anjiro

Just as a slight update, although its been a while, I did move the hammer to the front of the tank instead of where it was, the heads have extended almost twice as far as before. And here's a pic for show

geoj

Looks better, in two to three weeks it will be acclimated to this placement. If it does not start to color up in three weeks, it could be ether too much light or lack of nurturance in the water…