retro light - uv question

todj2002

im building my first retro light system and my question is this - as long as no light is escaping my canopy and i have glass on top of my tank, everything inside and outside my tank should be safe from uv rays? corect? ive read that all glas has a uv rating so as long as light doesnt escape the canopy people should b safe just from the tank glas. and tank inhabitants should be safe with glass on top of tank. right?

todj2002

and im using two 250 watt mh bulbs. forgot to mention that.
one mogul and one DE both with icecap ballasts. just cause thats what i had for parts and now i can do some comparison between the two types of bulbs also. do the tank inhabitants need to have glass on the tank to be protected from uv? id prefer to have the top open. tks in advance.

todj2002

found this info using oogle for anybody else that may have this question...
Double Ended metal halide lamps are made of quartz which allows the transmission of UV wavelengths from the arc tube. It is mandatory that tempered safety glass be used with double ended metal halide type
lamps. UV protective glass is required for any architectural use of Aqualite™ metal halide lamps where people are directly exposed to the light.
Single Ended metal halide lamps use a hard outer glass jacket which reduces UV. USHIO recommends the use of tempered safety glass on any fixtures using our Aqualite™ metal halide lamps. The safety glass not only reduces UV, but also extends the life of your lamps and sockets by protecting them from salt water corrosion. If the outer glass jacket of the single ended lamps is cracked or damaged in any way this will permit more UV light exposure and the lamp should be replaced immediately.