Retrofit for Oceanic System

aldog51

I was wondering if anyone out there has the same situation that I have. i have a 72G Oceanic bow front tank. The newest one called the "Metal Collection". The top of the canopy/cap that mounts on top of the tank has (2) removable lids (1) on the right and (1) on the left. They are made of plastic. How in the hell am I supposed to mount a metal halide retrofit or enclosed canopy for this tank? Any one have any ideas? If I were tio hang it above the canopy/cap then it would be wayyyy too high about 12-16" of the surface of the water.

bboersma79

How do you like the 72G Bowfront from Oceanic in the metals collection, i am looking into purchasing the same tank?

robchuck

I saw one of these tanks at a LFS earlier this summer, and the first thing that came to mind was how and where to mount MH in the cap. The best thing I could think of was to cut a hole in the top and mount the MH in a DIY box above the cap.

superstar7

So what was the outcome with your MH's? My Oceanic 175gal bow-front is giving me similar concerns now that I am deciding to upgrade the lighting. I was just considering adding-on the optional legs to prop it off of the glass top and plastic support - however, I have 3 lids and 2 supprts braces (and wood floors to think about when I burn through the braces!).

bboersma79

I checked with Oceanic, they said the cap has 8" of clearance...
the question is would enough light get passed through the glass tops? Or would i have to use the "mesh" that I have heard people are using.
The glass would protect the lights from water the only issue would be heating which I think could be resolved via fans?
It appears as though in order to have the most "flexible" lighting and provide the most options as far as corals/clams, etc., that you MUST have metal hallide, is this correct?
Also is the 10-12" clearance suggestion due to the fear of water hitting the bulb or is it that the intensity of the bulbs may harm the fish/corals, etc. if it is too close to them?
Need to know as I really want this tank set-up as it would really look good

superstar7

More than anything, the MHs need to be off of the water line so that there is enough circulation of cool air - once you put these lights on your tank, expect your water temps to go up, up, up.

bboersma79

So according to the rep at the pet store, the 72G oceanic shouldn't require MHs he said they are unnecessary and that my tank can support anemones, corals, etc. with power compacts alone, the depth of the tank isn't too deep to where MHs would be required.

superstar7

He may be correct, that the depth of your tank doesn't require the more powerful bulb, but if you have the means to make the purchase, why not? Your tank will glow with light and promote more growth of the inverts in your tank. Just be sure to get a smaller wattage bulb if that's what you decide.

msd2

Originally posted by bboersma79
So according to the rep at the pet store, the 72G oceanic shouldn't require MHs he said they are unnecessary and that my tank can support anemones, corals, etc. with power compacts alone, the depth of the tank isn't too deep to where MHs would be required.

He might be correct but pc will limit you on the corals, and dependin on the depth of ur tank the type of anemone you can have. Clams pretty much forget. I have had friends use pc lights and some have had pretty good luck, but they know to stay away from the light intensive corals/animals. If you know what you want in the way of corals and anemone and pc will be enough then go that route for sure. If your unsure, or want to have light intense corals save yourself some serious frustration in the future and go MH.
It sounds like u have a glass tank, if so you might be able to retro the plastic hood with some ingenuity. A couple of fans to push air will help and a inside box to asborb the heat to not melt the plastic. Your not going to hurt the corals by putting the MH 8 inches from the water, and MH bulbs are insullated twice so they will take a pretty good amount of abuse for spray. Heat, as mentioned before is your concern, MH that close to the tank will warm up the water so u might end up needing a chiller....
I have an acrylic tank, and its a bad idea to get the acrylic that hot (my orginal canopy was only 6 inches from the top of the tank). The solution I came up with was to build a spacer box, paint it flat black and put the canopy on top of it. It wouldnt be my first choice but it doesnt look bad and serves it purpose well of reducing the tank temp. If yours is glass you really only need to worry about the water temp though.