Return Flow from Sump ?

effishient

Does it matter if the outlet on my return pump is 1/2" diameter and the plastic tubing connecting it to the tank is 3/4" diameter?... assuming I can make a tight seal... does having a larger diameter tube than the diameter of the pump outlet have any negative effects (such as decreased flow rate) I should be concerned about? :confused:
If so, where can I find a return flow J-tube "kit" or something that has 1/2" tubing vs. 3/4"? The pump I want to use as my return flow pump (in the sump) is a Mag Drive 700GPH, which at 4' under should still give me about 480GPH turnover.
Should I upgrade to a larger pump instead? (the next size up has a 3/4" diameter, but then my concern is can I have TOO much flow rate returning compared to the amount coming out via the overflow box?) The overflow box has a 1 1/4" diameter, so I'm thinking it should be able to keep up regardless.

gregvabch

you should be ok, provided you connect and seal the plumbing. if you are concerned with your return pump being over-rated for your overflow you can always install a ball valve in-line on the return plumbing to regulate the flow. the drawback with ball valves is that they create more head pressure on the pump, and in my opinion if you're using that mag 7 on a 55 you should be fine. HTH

steveoutla

another issue to worry about with ball valves on the return line is the wear and tear on the pump. The more you close the ball valve the more resistance and stress it puts on the pump.