return from sump blowing bubbles..

peckhead

what could be causing this to happen? i have a wetdry with a sump.. they are mircobubbles so it is just making my tank look cloudy. is there anything else that could be causing this other than a protien skimmer? and if the protien skimmer is the only thing that would create micro bubbles what can i do to my my protien skimmer stop doing this? thanks a bundle

1journeyman

Ya, micro bubbles can be unhealthy for the tank so it needs to be addressed.
Try unplugging the skimmer for a while and see if it's the cuprit. Track down exactly what is casuing the problem, then post it. I'm sure someone here has already run into the same problem with the same equipment and can help you out.

joe 09

i had the same problem,if you are running a external pump make sure you are not getting a vortex at the suck side of the sump.i raised the water level in the sump to stop it.also make sure all your fittings are tight and sealed with a good aquarium silicone and the clamps are tight.

taznut

i dont have a sump but have trouble with my skimmer every once in awhile (usually when i add water)... i wait a couple hours and it goes away...

peckhead

the bubbles are mostly gone this mourning but there are still a tinnnnnnny bit. is a little bit ok? its not making it cloudy at all. but i can still notice some. what else will help. all the seals are tight..

fishguy56

Could be a pin air leak pulling in around a seal maybe silcone the seals for extra safety anyway and this may help.

peckhead

i just noticed that the return is blowing out air with out bubbles then after a little bit...it will spit out bubbles for like 1 second then back to normal. but it is happening often enough to make it look like there are some micro bubbles...where should i check for air leaks? around the return hose from the pump? or in the skimmer

michaeltx

I would trace back through the entire system checking any hose or PVC conections just to make sure. It can be anywhere though between the inlet in the tank all the way back to the outlet.
Mike

peckhead

ok i figured out where the bubbles are coming from. its not from the protien skimmer, its from the pump or the hose or something. but im not sure how to figure out where it is coming from and how to stop it???!??!?!?! and also, i added water to the sump, and its ro/di water from the pet store with the salt already in it and alot of bumbles came out the return...i have no idea what is going on. ...

peckhead

when i touch the hose or the pump for the return the water shoots out cloudy and millions of bubbles. more then ever. i can tell it is really stressing the fish out when this happens. what should i do!

michaeltx

what kind of hose and conections are you useing it sounds like the hose isnt fully sealed for some reason.
as far as when you added water if you poured it fast it will cause bubbles that will be thrown into the tank. I wouldnt really worry about those because they will go away quick just need to pour slower going in. If thats what it was doing. as far as the other it has the potential to be bad especially if its not setted correctly it can start leaking rather than drawing air so its a 2 edge sword.
mike

peckhead

ok i think tom. i will try and seal the hose better. what kinda of silcon should i use and where can i get it. is it safe to use on the pump and on the j tube that goes into my tank? is that what i should seal with silicon to fix this?

solarscar

Do you have any type of sponge filter on the return pump. I had some on a powerhead to prevent animals from getting sucked into and or course, had to clean the sponges every other day. When i cleaned them and put them back, it introduced trapped air in the sponge medium and if i touched it, it would chop the air into micro-bubbles. Just a thought.

solarscar

Originally Posted by peckhead
ok i think tom. i will try and seal the hose better. what kinda of silcon should i use and where can i get it. is it safe to use on the pump and on the j tube that goes into my tank? is that what i should seal with silicon to fix this?

You can find 100% aquarium silicone at home depot/lowes even walmart has a tube in the fish section. Remember the days when walmart sold fish?

solarscar

so should i take the sponge off the pump for the return? i thought about doing that...
If your return pump is in an area thats not going to get anenomes stuck in it (or lots of macro algea) then take it off. I bet thats your problem.

peckhead

the pump is in my sump. there is nothing in there accecpt water and maayyyyyybe a tiny bit of sand and my skimmer... so take it off?

solarscar

the pump is in my sump. there is nothing in there accecpt water and maayyyyyybe a tiny bit of sand and my skimmer... so take it off?
Take it off.

peckhead

still blowing bubbles. i ahve the hose that hooks up to the pump about 1" deep on to where the hose and pump hook up. and where the hose and the j tube are hooked up i have 2 metal clamps holding it super tight...i dont no what to do...still getting bubbles!

solarscar

still blowing bubbles. i ahve the hose that hooks up to the pump about 1" deep on to where the hose and pump hook up. and where the hose and the j tube are hooked up i have 2 metal clamps holding it super tight...i dont no what to do...still getting bubbles!
could you post a picture of your sump and return pump, also post pictures of the path it takes getting back to your display tank.