Return pump

sugarfox03

I need some suggestions for an appropriate return pump for my 105g tank with a 20g refugium. I'm new to big tanks, so I have no idea how these pumps work. Are they like powerheads? I was told to get one that doesn't have to go in the water, is this a good idea? Any/all info is greatly appreciated!

lubeck

you can do what you want but i would reccomend a mag9.5 pump. read up on pumps and wiegh your options. this was a very depedable pump for my 110ga. i moved my filtration down to the basement so its being used a salt mixer and water change pump. have fun..

acrylic51

Mags are dependable pumps as stated as long as you don't turn them on and off alot......they just don't like that after a while.....I personally don't like submersible pumps, for the simple fact it eats up room in the sump/fuge, and besides it adds heat to the water and depending what type of lighting your running and how your canopy is built could be a deciding factor as well IMO.....I prefer external pumps....alittle more detail to plumbing, but super easy IMO to work with......I'm a Sequence fan, but to get one to run on that size tank would have to divert flow several ways to really make it manageable, but it's possible.......I also like BlueLine and Iwaki

sugarfox03

Thanks Lubeck and acrylic51! I will check them all out. I like the idea of an external pump, I will research all of those and see which would be best for my set up. Thanks again!

efishnsea

Hey Melody
I use two Magnetic Drive 18 Utility Pumps for my 220, from what I can remember with my head pressure of 4' I'm turning over approx. 2000gpr. I have had them 1.5 years and still pumping like crazy. I would say one of them would work great for your 105. On each side of the tank I have the return go into a Y flexable nozzel to adjust the flow. I also put quick disconnects on either side of the pumps for servicing them. I hard plumbed the whole thing, if I were to do it all over I would have used flexable tubing. Much easier to work with and replace!!!!
Hope this helps
James

sugarfox03

That looks awesome! What did one of those cost, where did you get it? Want to help me plumb this thing?
I want to go to home depot this weekend and buy everything I need for that. We're going to Orlando tomorrow for the day, so will work on sealing it and if I have time, start to plumb it on Sunday. I also want to get some ideas on how to build a refugium. I want to finish that by next weekend, so I can start to put water, sand, and rock in there. I hate looking at an empty tank!

acrylic51

Originally Posted by efishnsea
Hey Melody
I use two Magnetic Drive 18 Utility Pumps for my 220, from what I can remember with my head pressure of 4' I'm turning over approx. 2000gpr. I have had them 1.5 years and still pumping like crazy. I would say one of them would work great for your 105. On each side of the tank I have the return go into a Y flexable nozzel to adjust the flow. I also put quick disconnects on either side of the pumps for servicing them. I hard plumbed the whole thing, if I were to do it all over I would have used flexable tubing. Much easier to work with and replace!!!!
Hope this helps
James
Hey James how long have they been running external?

efishnsea

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Hey James how long have they been running external?
My 75g for 7years, and my 210g for almost 2 years now...How come you ask that :thinking: ????

acrylic51

Just curious just happen to see the other post on here about the Mag splitting and never heard of that with the pump......I do know they aren't recommended for external use though.....

efishnsea

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Just curious just happen to see the other post on here about the Mag splitting and never heard of that with the pump......I do know they aren't recommended for external use though.....
My LFS runs almost every tank external with them and has for a while, I have not had a problem and as far as I know either has the store owner. :joy:

efishnsea

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
That looks awesome! What did one of those cost, where did you get it? Want to help me plumb this thing?
I want to go to home depot this weekend and buy everything I need for that. We're going to Orlando tomorrow for the day, so will work on sealing it and if I have time, start to plumb it on Sunday. I also want to get some ideas on how to build a refugium. I want to finish that by next weekend, so I can start to put water, sand, and rock in there. I hate looking at an empty tank!
I got them from Rob on US1 not the Rob on Military Trail. As far as the refugium I dont know, I dont ahave one. If you have any Q's you have my # dont hesitate to give me a call...