Reverse Osmosis....

nattybug33

If I was to buy a RO system, how do they hook up, would I have to buy or build a sump, because right now I only have a FOWLR 55g tank, and I'm planning on buying good lighting and some other things, I guess my main question is how does the RO system hook up and run? :notsure:

tangs123

it hooks up to your faucet and there is tons of adapters and hoses to buy so eventually you will get the right one!
there shouldn't be a hook-up issue :thinking:

indymatt

Most RODI systems make about 1-2 gallons an hour, yes most say XX number of gallons per day but that is under optimal conditions such as water pressure, and water temp straight out of the tap. I run mine overnight and it fills a trashcan with a float valve that shuts the RODI off so it doesn't overflow.

nattybug33

Hum... My LFS sells RO water for .50cents a gallon, maybe it would just be easier that way. Of course I would have my own bottled water station in my house.

unbreakabl

Originally Posted by nattybug33
Hum... My LFS sells RO water for .50cents a gallon, maybe it would just be easier that way. Of course I would have my own bottled water station in my house.
My lfs sells ro water for $0.25

shlovell16

hey Nattybug, what part of East Tennessee do you live in? In a few weeks i'm moving to Johnson city and I am looking for any LFS's in that area that are good.

sleasia

If you get an r/o unit the typhoon III is great and they have all the adapters, float valves,etc you might want.

nattybug33

Hey I live in Elizabethton. There are 3 really great ones, #1 Under the Sea: they just moved to a new location, they grow corals and everything, they are on the Bristol Hwy towards Bristol Motor Speedway. #2 Sea Oddities in Kingsport, they have a great variety and great tanks prices especially the big ones. #3 Aquarium in Knoxville, it is awesome, about 2.5 hours away but so worth the trip, its about 30 min past Pigeon Forge, they have everything imaginable and they really know their stuff, its a huge facility.

shlovell16

wonderful, I'm excited already.
My uncle knows the guy who owns a Coral/saltwater fish store in Piney Flats, is that "Under the sea"?
i am also looking forward to making a trip down to see the Gorgia Aquarium(heard it's great).
Thanks a bunch! I didn't expect to find anyone on here from the Tri-cities area!!!!!

nattybug33

Yeah thats Under the Sea, they are great!!! I haven't been able to go to the Georgia aquarium yet but if you search the forums on this message board some people have posted pictures. You are very Welcome

nattybug33

oh also if you never get lost in Johnson city, my husband and I own a Jeep parts business on W. Market ST, just drop by anytime before 5pm.

shlovell16

Haha, I appreciate it so much.
Honestly though, I will be fine getting my way around. I have lived in Louisville KY my entire life, but I have family down in JC TN that I have visited numerous times. That's the reason for the move. I'm excited to go check out that store now. My uncle said that his friend knows ALOT about corals and saltwater fish, and that he's sure he takes real good care of his store.
Once again though, I appreciate everything.

madandgloa

I use my RO unit for filling up bottled water containers for drinking and all sorts of other stuff. In the money I spend just for drinking water I will pay off my RO unit in a year. That is not including what I use for the aquarium. So it pays for itself in the long run.

nattybug33

thats really good to know, I'm always buying bottled water to drink, I noticed on Walmart brand water it says purified through RO.

brendap

Originally Posted by nattybug33
oh also if you never get lost in Johnson city, my husband and I own a Jeep parts business on W. Market ST, just drop by anytime before 5pm.
Hey nattybug33 I lived in JC for years and now reside in Knoxville. There's 2 here in Knoxville and both are great. I visit my folks up there from time to time, so I'll go check out what they have.