reverse syphon

ekclark

I have just expirenced this for the first time, twice in two days, with my new sump. The return is the same as it was on my old tank, where I never had this problem. What causes this? Am I correct in thinking that drilling a hole on my return hose a little below the water will line will eliminate this problem, well at least keep from a wet floor anyway? What do you do? I have heard that the check valves are a lot of trouble. What do you think? Thanks.

bededog

I turned my pump on my fuge yesterday for the first time. I had the same problem with the siphoning when I turned my pump off. I was told by some people here to do the hole right below the water line thing. That is what I am planning to do. I just don't want to do it until I am sure where to put it. I didn't glue my pipes that are going to be under water so I was able to detach a pipe and break the siphon. The first time I broke the siphon in the nick of time. Damn near had a flood.

beaslbob

your experiences agree with mine and the reason it is very important to test new sump/rug setups. I solved my back syphon by placing the output at the water level of the tank. the hole is another way of breaking the back syphon. One person recommended drilling the hole above the water line and pointing it down. That way the syphon is immediately broken and during normal operation, the water from the hole goes down to the tank water.

ekclark

yeah--I was there just in time myself.:eek: I think I will try drilling a hole or two and place the return pipe just below the water level too. Why hasn't there been a good plumbing book for saltwater tanks yet? It seems the books are all about the same and are years behind what people are doing with their systems. Thank goodness for the internet.