Rhinopias in a 20 gal hexagon tank

halamaya

I had to move my Rhinopias to a 20 gal tank last week. So far he seems to be liking it. Would he be alright in this tank for any long periods of time? Also if he would be alright could I add a frogfish into this tank with him? I have 15 lb's live rock and 20lb's live sand, HOT Magnum filter, and I'm going to be buying a nano skimmer tomorrow for the tank. So far no nitrates, he's eatten one damsel and a couple ghost shrimp. 1 damsel still in the tank also.

cranberry

I would not add the frogfish. It's too much for that size tank. I personally wouldn't try a big fish like that in a 20 because there's not much room for error or much of a chance for a change to be absorbed. Mine is in a split 40g with a nice size sump. So they can live in the dimensions of a 20.... but are hard pressed to "fit" in the volume of a 20. Having said that, I have no doubt it can be done by the right person with dedication and good observation skills.

fmarini

I agree w/ Cranberry-- i wouldnt do it for long, and esp skip the angler.
The problem is that tank is too small and water parameters could change too quickly(potentially for the worse).
Make it only his temporary home

halamaya

I don't think I have much of a choice for now, the skimmer is only 50 bucks and I have 10 dollar credit, it is suppose to work quite well. Doesn't use an air stone and has a fairly powerful pump. I'm doing my taxes tomorrow so I will be able to upgrade the tank eventually. I don't want another large tank though, what if I built a 10 gallon refugium for the tank? I have two hang on refugiums for my 55's and they work super. I don't want him to go crazy from not having enough room to move though.

skate020

you get like another 20g sump, less chance of the water going bad and if you maximise his living space he may be able to last longer then thought, although, he wont be able to stay there for a very long time.
and if you get a frogfish, id put money on one of them going missing shortly after the frogfish is added, and mind you, i doubt it would be the frogfish,

halamaya

the yelloow Angler that I have on hold at my LFS is close to the same size as my Rhinopias. If Cranberry says its going to be difficult to achieve I sincerely believe her. I just hope I can pull it off until I'm able to set something bigger up for him. I have it right now so that he can go upsatirs on the rock, (two floors.) I did want to set up a tank to breed Bangai Cardinals atleast.