Ribbon eel in a reef?

clown4life

Does anyone own a blue/black or white/ghost ribbon eel in their reef tank? Or if you don't what is your oppion about which one is more hardy. And do you think you should even have an eel in a reef system.

saltn00b

somebody on here tried keeping them about a year or two ago. i dont know if they had success or not. blue ribbons have terrible success rate because of lack of adequate 'housing'. the person tried to keep them by placing long PVC pipes in the sand bed with 2-3 outlets.

I can't remember his name now but I know that he owns a ghost ribbon eel in his reef and I believe that he has had good success with it. Other than that I think that it's not the reef that is the problem but just the ribbon eels in general are not very good in captivity.

clown4life

well I know some one that has one in their 150 and he is just fime it isn't a reef set-up but it eats. Thats the key if it eats it will live unless it gets out.

billy73

Originally Posted by Clown4Life
http:///forum/post/2700116
well I know some one that has one in their 150 and he is just fime it isn't a reef set-up but it eats. Thats the key if it eats it will live unless it gets out.

There you have it! Thier is always an excption to the rule where somebody wins the lottery! IMO The real qustion should be how many are you willing to try before you get one to eat and live.

clown4life

thats what brings me to my next question which one on the record lives more (the harrdiest) white,black, or blue? I might be able to get one off a friend and it eats.

clown4life

Because most ribbon eels do not live longer than a month in captivity, some feel that this species should never be purchased. Ribbon eels have been observed in nearly every case to stop eating after being captured. Although there are reports of ribbon eels surviving and eating in captivity for 2 years or more. But most don't survive over a month.
With proper sized tanks, water flow, and depth of proper sand they can be kept for much longer in pairs. well it looks like I am getting two now

texasmetal

Originally Posted by Clown4Life
http:///forum/post/2700205
thats what brings me to my next question which one on the record lives more (the harrdiest) white,black, or blue? I might be able to get one off a friend and it eats.
From my understanding, those are all the same eel, just different phases of its life. They start out white.
Main thing is finding some that eat frozen foods. I wouldn't buy them if they don't accept frozen at the fish store. They are slow eaters and don't do well with competition.

fuerte91

My LFS wont carry these eels because they do not survive in captivity. I am sure though, that someone may have had success.

I kept a white ribbon eel in my reef 125, did well ate, and was a great addition never picked at anyone or anything. He just died recently

clown4life

Originally Posted by johnjamiesonx
http:///forum/post/2700600
I kept a white ribbon eel in my reef 125, did well ate, and was a great addition never picked at anyone or anything. He just died recently
I'm sorry to ear that . The white ribbon isn't really a ribbon eel it is a differrent genus and is a little bit better and has a better chance to eat and survive.

luke01

You can make almost any species survive in a tank. The difference is knowledge time and money. Huge tanks with the perfect combination of filter. If you can afford huge species tank with proper equipment go ahead. But dont kill magnificent species in a reef that is not made for what youn can keep.

F

flame hawk

had a black ribbon in my reef didnt eat so i reaplced hiw with a snow flake hes great