Rick's Seahorse Pics!

novahobbies

misslainie's were so cute, I thought I'd share mine too. Hope you like!

Male is now pregnant!

My littlest horse, hiding in the gorgonian:

And finally, the female yellow reidi apparently got jealous of the attention her mate was getting, because:

she kept drifting in front of the camera!
That's all for now...

novahobbies

Thanks!
Lion_crazz, there are three horses and three fish in this tank: a female green mandarin (fat&happy) a red firefish, and a female lyretail anthias. The tank has been up for 4 months, the lyretail and firefish in ot for 3 months, the little black erectus was the first horse to go in (about 10 weeks now) and the yellow reidis, mandarinfish were added a month ago. It's a 37 gallon tall tank, 30 lbs of live rock, lots of macroalgae for pod production, plus small DIY fuge for same reason. The black horse was my tester, to make sure I could take care of a seahorse before I went out to get the yellow reidis.
If I was to give advice to someone who wanted one, I would say start by reading and researching for at least a month....look online, there are lots of great forums that are serious about seahorses. Google a guy named Pete Giwojna....he has a few books out, runs a monthly article in a couple magazines, and hops on a few forums to answer questions. He just may be one of the gurus of the horse hobby.
They're not that hard to keep. They can even have other tankmates, provided those neighbors are peaceful and shy, or have different diet requirements. I would NOT recommend a lyretail anthias in a horse tank, from my experience. He's far too active. If you must have an anthias, choose a laid-back species, perhaps bartletts or evansi. They're amazing fun to watch!

novahobbies

Here's a few last pics:
Full tank shot:

A cute shot of all three horses holding tails:

and the last shot, showing the size difference of the yellow reidis compared to the erectus young one:

Thant's all for now...I'm tired!

coral keeper

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/2697880
Here's a few last pics:
Full tank shot:

A cute shot of all three horses holding tails:

and the last shot, showing the size difference of the yellow reidis compared to the erectus young one:

Thant's all for now...I'm tired!

What kind of gorgonian is that? The red one to the right. Thanks! Nice horses BTW.

novahobbies

It's an orange tree gorgonian: orange branching body, deep red polyps. About as hardy as the yellow gorgonians, same care requirements.

novahobbies

It's so hard to get a good pic of him, but the male is getting SOOO fat! Here's one I snapped today...let's see if turns out:

novahobbies

BABIES!!!
Got up this morning and there were a couple hundred of 'em in the tank! I gotta go siphon as many as I can out into the rearing tank. They're so darn cute!!

novahobbies

They're really small, and constantly in motion, but I'm going to try this evening to get a shot. They look very like the parent horses, just with huge heads compared to the body.

spanko

I just love horse tanks. Have always wanted to try one just haven't. Tagging along here to see the babies.

sueandherzoo

Hey - what happened here???? Did you ever post pics? Did any of the babies survive????
(sorry, I'm just seeing this post - oldie but goodie)
Sue