Ricordea Care

laddy

Hey All--
Have a pair at the bottom of my 10g (under 96w) and they don't appear to be doing very well. They've failed the DNLR test :happy: .........was wondering if anyone has had these in their nanos. At what depth, under what lights, etc, etc. Maybe I'm expecting too much in two weeks, however, I have the ability to move them if I have to. Any non-scientific researchers out there?

T

tuningvis

DNLR?
i've got a purple ricordia floridia that has been struggling lately .....i think my bulb needs to be replaced .. under 96w also
i also have a green yuma that is doing good.. so i'm a bit confused.
they are in mid height
the purple was a hitchiker on my LR so it's over a year old
the yuma is about 1 month old (if that)

laddy

Does Not Look Right......
Ya the Ricordea is a puzzlement at the moment. I bought it two weeks ago, and to be honest with you (and to myself) it looked better at the LFS than it does now. I don't have a problem with any discosoma I have in my 10. Originally I had it placed on the substrate, but while doing maintenance this weekend I moved it half way up the rock work. It's been two days now, and although the color is still the same, it's just not as full as I know them to be.
Have you heard of anyone maintaining them at or near the surface?

T

tuningvis

though i've never seen it or heard about it.
i dont think it could be a bad thing... .. it's worth a shot.
what looks not right on the ricordia?
how long have you had your bulb?
i need to find a cheap place to buy one.. the cheapest i've found is 35 +shipping
you know of any?

laddy

I think the $35 + shipping is the place I found it as well. Though, it sure beats the $69 replacement bulbs my LFS sell around here. The spectrum may be the problem, however, I'm leaning towards flow rate--something tells me if I can find a midlevel placement out of high current I may find success.

laddy

2 PH 201's pointed at each other, both regulated to about 3/4 power I would guess.

T

tuningvis

thats some good flow
i dont think that high flow makes softies very happy ... but i could be wrong and anything at this point is worth a shot ...
have you done anything so far with the ric?