Ricordea Fragging Story

smoney

Well, about 3 months ago, one of my 3 ricordeas were splitting, and my friend wanted me to frag him one. Now, me and my friend will frag each other some coral if we have extra. So, I was like ok. I had fragged regular mushrooms before, but had trouble fragging the ricordea, so I then handed the razor to my friend to get it a try, he muttilated the ricordea. He put the muttlilated frag in his tank and attached it successfully. Now, I seriously thought he killed the little bugger. Come to find out, I checked it out a while back and its perfectly fine. I believe its splitting now. Now, here is the cool part of the story, he muttilated it so much that it left some guts that were still attached to my rock. The mushroom guts that were on my rocks have now turned into two seperate ricordea.
It was a WIN-WIN situation. :cheer:
I'll put pics up of them on here tommorrow, they are shrivelled up right now, but that is one hell of a success story if you will.

robpsca

hey Money. way to go
we just 2 nights ago fragged our very first coral. it was a shroom. Man do they stink when ya cut em. we took 3 shrooms made 9 . they all survived and are almost a complet circle again. its amazing they all have mouths again LOL being our first attempt we didnt cut the mouths centered on all of the.
and .... the old spots are getting a nub on them Hoping its a new shroom comin out
just bought 2 weeks ago 6 ricordia. blues and greens. their splitting but would really like to make it a nice sized colony. so im thinking, each one in two? 12 total or each in 3 18 total. WOO HOOO.
did u use netting or did ya glue them? we used super glue gel.

smoney

I used netting, when I did normal mushrooms, and so did my buddy when he attached his ricordea frag, thats the best way to go. Will you have any extra blue ricordea?

robpsca

LOL actually, yes. probably in 3 weeks. :jumping:
i hope
where in cali are you? did i ask you this already? lol ive read so many posts i dont remember!
i wanted to use the glue, cuz i figured if i want to frag them again. all i gotta do is cut the glue from the rock and then i wont damage the shroom again. LOL its traumatic enough to scrape half their guts off with a xacto knife EEEK.

littleliza

I had a green hairy mushroom do something similar. It had already split once, so I experimented with the 'extra' shroom and just kind of pulled it off the rock it was on and put it on a new one. It attached just fine and split again soon after, but where I had pulled it off there was just a tiny bit of the base still attached and it's already growing a new head, too.

kdfrosty

I'll routinely chop up my blue shrooms and let them free float throughout my tank. They always end up attaching themselves somewhere.

smoney

Originally Posted by robPSca
LOL actually, yes. probably in 3 weeks. :jumping:
i hope
where in cali are you? did i ask you this already? lol ive read so many posts i dont remember!
i wanted to use the glue, cuz i figured if i want to frag them again. all i gotta do is cut the glue from the rock and then i wont damage the shroom again. LOL its traumatic enough to scrape half their guts off with a xacto knife EEEK.

Yeah, u asked me I live in santa clarita. I had some mushrooms to trade. Good luck with the fragging.

robpsca

Originally Posted by nanocuber7
mushrooms are like impossible to kill. you really cant go wrong by fragging them.
WOO HOO.
im lookin at my scalpel and grinning
LOL