Ricordea Light?

russianspy

My Ricordea(s)[Soon to split, I hope] Are all the way up to the top exposed to my 192w PC, I am soon to update to VHO and MH, should I move they be moved to a lower level when the new lights come because as part of the mushroom family don't the prefer less intense light?
Any pics and info on your lighting would be nice too!

bang guy

Originally posted by RussianSpy
don't the prefer less intense light?

Depends on the color & species.

russianspy

Erm...Wel they have greyish blue tips and the rest is brownish...I bought them at the LFS as "Ricordea" Didn't really care or think different species prefered different light

russianspy

There so darn god colorful
CURSE YOU, if they ever split and you don't want the extra give me a very load hollar

steveweast

My ric patch is under very high light (although I did acclimate them to the high light when they were introduced long ago). There are three 400 watt MH bulbs grouped together over the patch. The rics are about 20 inches below the three bulbs.

steveweast

I have no idea...probably over 200 individuals. Originally I just placed a few small colonies somewhat close together and they just spread. When there is no more room to spread, like in the middle of the patch, they just jetision off of the rock and go floating. I started with two of these red ones about a year ago...there are seven now....definitely my favorites.

nm reef

LOL...our friendly reefer friend from the great nothwest has developed a cult following...:D
Very nice to see you around ...how is the new website progressing?
As a rule rics can tolerate a fairly wide range of lighting but it seems the most successful are under intense lighting.I've seen them kept in lower levels of light...but the truely great colonies always seem to be under MH's in mature systems with moderate or above current. I've got a couple of types and mine seem to like the lower levels under a pair of 400 watt MH's...maybe try them in a few locations until you find a spot they like. A few of the orange rics in my display are starting to split.

mytank

do they prefer sand over rock? I had mine on a rock and he keeps moving to the sand next to the feather duster