Ricordia Reproduction

jbird0420

Does it take awhile? I ask cause I have a # of mushrooms in my tank and their multiplying like crazy. Whereas the Rics, don't seem to reproduce. I didn't know if it takes longer for the Ric family to reproduce, unlike it's cousin the shroom??

m0nk

It depends on a bunch of things, but I've noticed with Rics, it's more flow based than anything. If they're in higher flow, they tend to migrate and will grow little "babies" at every spot they've moved from. Mushrooms do the same thing, but since rics reproduce a lot slower than mushrooms just standing alone, high flow is the best to get them really going, imo.

m0nk

Originally Posted by Jbird0420
http:///forum/post/2868200
Wouldn't the high flow cause them not to open or stress em out?
Depends on how high you mean. I get 32x turnover in my tank because it's mostly SPS and LPS, but the rics grow quite a bit with this amount of flow. I've given a few away and have a few more that grew onto a snail shell to trade with a buddy, while still keeping a few for myself, and I started with 1 polyp of this particular ricordia yuma in April.

jbird0420

I got a couple yuma rics multiplying. But I reeeeaaaalllllly want my colorful Fl rics to start taking off. Bought a couple from Flricordea and Grouper Genius. Those guys i want to multiply!
I did take ur advice MoNk on more flow. Moved a powerhead around, there don't seem to mind to much.

jrod4u

I bought one yuma ric about month ago, still on the same rock when I got it, has not moved, but I now have 4 more little babies sprouting everywhere. It is in about low to medium flow. Am surprised how quickly it is reproducing. Must be very happy

scottallert

I heard people dosing vodka..
maybe to get the female rics in the mood. idk.
Have your rics developed more than one mouth?
Because mine have 2 mouths each and wont split so i chopped them in half, and are doing great.
Id say just start slicing away.

jbird0420

LOL! I'm really good at getting females in the "Mood!", but dosing vodka to my tank........
They have at least 2 mouths. Ive split them B4, but I hate waiting for them to attach themselves. I've been unsuccessful in the past on getting them to attach, unless they do it themselves.
Originally Posted by scottallert
http:///forum/post/2883178
I heard people dosing vodka..
maybe to get the female rics in the mood. idk.
Have your rics developed more than one mouth?
Because mine have 2 mouths each and wont split so i chopped them in half, and are doing great.
Id say just start slicing away.