Ricordia yuma

sergeant

I picked up a Sea Scope flier at the LFS about the ricordia yuma (hot pink) and it states that is a invasive species and is not recommended to be released by aquarist out of the area where they are native from.
Have any of you reefers out there ever heard such thing?

shoreliner11

I can't say I've heard that directly related to Ricordia yumas but, I think that the statement goes with all things we have in our tanks. California is having a big problem with Calerpa overtaking waters which was introduced the same way. But, yumas aren't exactly the fastest growers so its kinda odd that they'd put out a flier particularly for pink ric. yumas. hmmmm.....

beachbumtx

True, no organism used in the aquaria trade should be released into the wild unless they are already naturally found there. In Florida, didn't they discover population of lionfish? Not native to the Atlantic, but believed to be released by people who no longer wanted them.
But it is not just fish and corals, reptiles and birds get released all the time. Oh well...

bang guy

No aquarium animal should ever be released. <--- period
Even if it is native to the area and attached animals, pathogens, etc. may not be.

sergeant

I agree 100% on Not releasing animals in the wild if they dont belong there period. I am curious the fact that this person published this because most of us who want to have the pink ricordia yuma can't even get it at the LFS. I would like to have one of them.
Does anyone know where are they native from?